MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-29-2001, 11:53 AM   #1
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Question Carb Dumping Gas

Hi everybody,
Hope ya'll had a nice weekend. The weather was finally nice enough for me to take my car out without a top. (I need a new one bad.) I've got a problem:
The car wil start right up and run ok. After it warms up, if I shut it down, the carb keeps leaking gas into the inside. This is severe enough to flood the engine and it won't restart until its sat awhile. I've rebuilt the carb, but that hasn't helped. Anybody have any ideas whats going on? Would too much carb cause this?

Its a 66 Hi Po, 60 over, 351 heads, headers @ duals, Shelby intake and 750 vacuum secondary holley.

I'm just about to go buy a new carb, but hate to if that won't fix my problem.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 08:34 PM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Brian,
It sounds like your float is either stuck or set to high. Changing the carb will fix it but fixing yours will be alot cheaper.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2001, 10:10 PM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Reset the float. If you have external adjustments use the sight holes in the side of the float bowls. Set it so it is just to the bottom of the opening. Be careful here, you can get alot of RAW gas coming out on a hot engine. Put some shop rags or paper towels under the float bowls to soak it up. Also, make sure that the carb isn't getting real hot, temperture wise. That too can cause a problem with flooding.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2001, 08:31 AM   #4
Brian Browning
Registered Member

Its not the float or the needle and seat. I've adjusted/ cleaned the float and the needle and seat numerous times. I had a guy on the corvette forum tell me that my metering plate is warped. It seems like that would produce the symptoms I'm getting. Summit has a metering plate to metering block conversion kit for just over 30 bucks. Then a new fuel line for 15. I'm going to try that. If I still have the problem, I'm seriously considering a road demon carb.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed
Brian Browning is offline   Reply With Quote