MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Default Carburated to Fuel Injected

What would it take to take a carburated engine out of a car and put in a fuel injected. Is it alot of work, I am just curious cause a friend asked me and was asking if it would need to be done as for electrical wise and such. And is it a big project?

Thanks,
-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:53 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

There are variations, so it really depends on what you have in mind and where you want to go with your swap project:

Ford small block engines 302/5.0L/351w bolt up generally to whatever transmission you now have or to later alternative transmissions. Bolting in isn't the only consideration since you have to account for accessory drive (serpentine or v-belt), accessories to be used (alternator, power steering, air conditioning), transmission (standard, automatic, five-speed, AOD, EAOD, etc), fuel system (carb, EFI, aftermarket), etc.

I have 5.0L HO roller engine in my '65 and use with v-belt accessories and T5-Z five-speed tranny. I use Holly Street Avenger System parts for fuel induction and Hooker Comp headers for exhaust. Its just one of many combinations.

There's so many possibilities that you could have in mind. Narrow them down to a specific configuration and perhaps we can offer better advice.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:45 AM   #3
1969Mach1
HEY I CAN SET A NAME NOW!

Well he is a Buick/GM guy, I know he is looking at a T-Type or a GN. I think he want's to put the 3.8 engine the Regal's have an turbo & intercool it. (Like a GN) but I think he was thinking of putting it into a old Monte Carlo or other G-Body car and was just curious on what it really takes.

Thanks,
-Sam.

1979 Mustang Indianapolis 500 Pace Car **For Sale - Email me for Info**
302-2V, 3-Speed Auto
One of 2,106 made
One of 405 sent to Canada.
Yes those are caution lights, and No you can't pass me when there on.

Ricer Hater's Club - Member #4
1969Mach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:04 AM   #4
Jeff65
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 1969Mach1
Well he is a Buick/GM guy, I know he is looking at a T-Type or a GN. I think he want's to put the 3.8 engine the Regal's have an turbo & intercool it. (Like a GN) but I think he was thinking of putting it into a old Monte Carlo or other G-Body car and was just curious on what it really takes.

Thanks,
-Sam.
Good planning is essential to a successful swap. Both the engine and control systems have to be understood as does all wiring. Each section of the engine needs to be studied. Questions to ask oneself are:

a. how will the block mount? Is there adequate clearances?
b. how will the accessories mount?
c. what are the connections required for accessories?
d. what are the electrical requirements?
e. what are the fuel requirements?
f. what are the cooling requirements? How will I satisfy them?

The thing you want to do is not to overlook anything in your initial plan. You don't want to get knee deep into the job and find out something won't work or you don't have the right part or a place to get it. Custom work is alway very expensive and you can avoid unnecessary custom work by good planning.

Examples: when I was planning my swap I believed certain things were true. When I found later some of them not to be true, I paid the price to correct it. Motor mounts I thought would bolt in did not. I had to modify them to make them work. Air conditioning bracket I thought would bolt on did not. I had to modify it to make it work. Point is with careful planning you'll avoid most of the pitfalls. Some will crop up anyway; its Murphy's Law. Plan for Murphy by eliminating problems as soon as you can.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote