MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-19-2000, 08:22 PM   #1
LilGirl
Registered Member

Question Classic for me?

I adore mustangs, new and old, and I am about to buy my first one. My question is what year. I drive a lot, an I don't know too much about the mechanics of cars. I would love to learn, but I haven't yet. What is maintenance like on a classic? Is it going to be dependable? For a completely restored car, what should I expect to spend? I have so many questions, but I'll start with that. I appreciate any and all responses! Thank you!
LilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2000, 10:41 PM   #2
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

You've opened a big can of worms. (I) would first buy what was appealing to me. That way you wont disire somting different too soon afterward. If you choose a classic and wish to keep it a classic,the parts you will need may cost a little more and somtimes hard to find. Classic's will retain most of there value if properly maintained. Around here older cars in very good "reliable" shape sell in the 5k and up range. Air conditioner may also be a consideration for you in Cali. As maybe gas prices. Fighting traffic in a classic cannot be endorsed by me. If you want a daily driver you may want to have the classic updated in the saftey department,ie:brakes,steering,suspension etc. Some older cars can be a handful to drive without it. I work on my own cars and would recommend taking a hard look at a later model for a safe daily driver.If you have a person that can spend the time preforming semi-annual checks and maitenence then go for for the classic. Dependability will be determined by what you buy & how you drive it. If your more or less on an island,go late model. And welcome to the Mustang Family no matter what you choose.
mustangII460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 11:47 AM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Just to add more fuel to the fire; the old classics are easy to work on but old stuff has a tendency to break and wear out and you have to stay on top of it. When they are running right they are a lot of fun. While the new car dosen't have the mystic it will "probably" be more reliable. And daily commuting in a classic can get old after a while, plus you have to be extra careful because as the previous poster mentioned the safety equipment in the old mustangs is not up to par with more modern rides.
With all that said, I bet you enjoy what ever you get.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 01:18 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

LilGirl:

Good questions and intelligent of you to consider all of these factors when deciding what year Mustang to purchase.

I would suggest you stay with a Mustang in the 10-year-old or newer range.

These are all Fuel Injection, have decent brakes and suspension as well as air bags, on-board diagnostics and all the amenities, including quality stereos and A/C.

You need to assess some important factors: the first is: How much are you able/willing to pay? The answer will determine what age-range 'Stang you'll be looking at.

The 1989 - 93 5.0 Mustangs are the best, by far, if you can find a 'stock' one that hasn't been modified and with fairly low mileage. These are fun, relaible vehicles.
Available in automatic and 5-speed, with lots still around, both from dealers and private sellers. From $3,000 - $10,000.

Once you get into older 'Classic' Mustangs (pre-74) they get a bit more complicated.
As stated in previous posts, the 1965-73 models have fewer options and are often not as reliable, due to poorer build quality in that time period. The safety question is also a factor, as brakes, suspension and even tires are not anywhere near as good as later models, although they can be upgraded. Maintainance is also required more often for these vehicles and parts can sometimes be difficult to locate and the price can be quite high, depending on the part needed.

Restoration is a big question.
There are restorations and - restorations. To some, a few pounds of bondo (plastic body filler) and a cheap paint job with some tacky seat covers is a 'restoration'. You don't want that.

A quality restoration will use as many original factory body parts as possible (and necessary) and all trim will be replaced too, along with original interior (seat upholstery and carpets) fabrics and colors.
The paint will be high-quality, in an original color. All mechanical parts will be replaced with new or rebuilt and in some cases, upgraded (especially tires and brakes) parts to meet current standards.

All this is expensive to buy, maintain and keep intact, which is why, for your first Mustang, I would recommend a 'late' model that has everything you'll want or need, with all the modern conveniences and all the cachet of a real american classic, a Mustang.

Once you've owned a 'late model' Mustang and gotten used to it, you can always sell it and buy an older Mustang, but if you have a bad experience with your first 'Stang, it could sour the whole 'Mustang experience' for you and that would be a shame.

Go with a later model...and enjoy it!

[This message has been edited by Mr 5 0 (edited 05-20-2000).]
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2000, 02:12 PM   #5
69fastback
IRAQ VET

I am a owner of both a classic and a new mustang. There is nothing like driving a classic mustang. It is one of the best feelings in the world, but as far as a daily driver it is though. Classic mustangs are more maintence and need more love and care. So for something to drive everyday go with a newer mustang. They come wiht all the conviences u need to drive everyday and they still are fast and look cool. The main thing is that they don't require as much maintence.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote