MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-01-1999, 01:08 PM   #1
MUSTANGROB
Registered Member

Default Cleaveland in a '66

I left this message before, but I didn't get a clear answer. Can someone tell me if a complete 351C engine will fit between the shock towers of a '66 'Stang? If I machine my 289W block to accept Cleaveland heads, will it be the same width assembled as a 351C? Will it bolt up to my C4 tranny? Great April Fools Joke!
MUSTANGROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-1999, 10:55 PM   #2
mslcr
Registered Member

This modified setup cannot be as wide as the Cleveland because the V is narrower on the Windsor motors.
mslcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-1999, 12:16 AM   #3
Kcode351
Registered Member

Cleaveland heads on a 289 are a big pain in the "third member". Once you get the heads figured out you need to figure out the manifold. A machine shop will do anything you want to pay them to. I think it would be a better investment to buy some aftermarket heads or have your 289, 302, or 351w heads reworked. A good machine shop can put 1.96/1.60 or 2.02/1.60 valves, hard valve seats, guide plates, screw in studs, and a nice port and polish job. The tight chambers on early 289 heads offer some nice compression numbers for cheap. As far as the complete 351c fitting between the towers. Headman makes a conversion header but it may take other mods to get it to fit. The 351w is a much more comon swap. In Mustang Monthly there is a engine company advertised called "Clevor" that sells a engine that is a 351 cleveland and 351 windsor mix. Im sure they can answer all your questions.
Kcode351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-1999, 07:52 PM   #4
travs69
Registered Member

try www.wabba.net.. then go to how to's.. there's a page full of pics for putting 351c heads on a 351W...
travs69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 08:04 AM   #5
jrdalles
Registered Member

Default Re: Cleaveland in a '66

yes, c4 tranny will bolt up to a cleveland. plus it is lighter. have the same set-up in my 68
jrdalles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 03:05 AM   #6
rbohm
Registered Member

Default Re: Cleaveland in a '66

yes the 351c fits in the 65-66 mustangs, but it is tight, and you do need swap headers as the stock exhaust manifolds will be up against the shock towers. the 351c bolts up to the stock 289 engine mounts, and to any 6 bolt bellhousing the 289 bolts to. you will need more radiator though, and if you use an intake other than the performer or the stock 351c intake, you likely will need a hood scoop for clearance.

as for putting 351c heads on a 289, it can be done, but for the money you will spend getting an intake, and having the machine work done, you would be well on your way to buying a set of aftermarket heads for the 289 that will come close to the 351c 2v heads airflow.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote