MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Convertible Top Adjustment (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=8461)

Brian Browning 05-29-2001 02:45 PM

Convertible Top Adjustment

As some of you may remember I was talking about geting a new top a while back. I got one and it looks pretty good. My problem is that its really hard to get latched down. I've adjusted those little hooks out until it doesn't seal against the top of my windshield. Is there an adjustment somewhere else that will allow the top to come farther towards the front of the car? When I picked it up, the propaganda they gave me said not to take the top down for a week. I'm thinking they want you out of the city before you notice this stuff.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed

Hotelbldr 05-31-2001 10:02 PM

Brian, Did you do disney world while they put the top on? As you may remember I suggested that you come to Longwood for the top. Is that in fact what you did? The only adjustments I have made to my top ( it's still not the Replacement) are the set screws in the top side rail. Get out your manual its all in chapter 18-3.
Let me know if this helps.

------------------
66 burgandy convertible; 306 (289 bored .03 and 302 crank) edelbrock: Performer intake,4v carb; hurst 4 spd; 2.8:1 rear;Classic Auto Air perfect fit AC; Pertronix ignitor

Brian Browning 06-04-2001 03:49 PM

Hi Hotelbldr,
As it turned out I ended up getting it done in Jackson MS. It cost more (800 bucks) but I couldn't get the time off from work for the drive to FL. I adjusted those hooks at the front of the side rail, that grab the winshield. But it seems like there should be something (cables or something) I could get a little more slack from. Sorry it took so long to get back to you, but I'm a safety guy and OSHA has been in my plant.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed

Hotelbldr 06-06-2001 08:45 PM

Brian I'm really happy for you having, uncle OSHA come visit (NOT). What kind of top did you get for $800? Was that all they did, replace the top? Tell me what manufacturer made the top and are you happy with it (adjustment notwithstanding. I'm saving my coins for my top later this year. Iwill also need to have the trough it fasten to at the rear rebuilt at the same time. It's rusting out so it gets wet in the trunk when it rains. Typical Fl. Summers thats an everyday occurance.
Later Dude

------------------
66 burgandy convertible; 306 (289 bored .03 and 302 crank) edelbrock: Performer intake,4v carb; hurst 4 spd; 2.8:1 rear;Classic Auto Air perfect fit AC; Pertronix ignitor

Brian Browning 06-07-2001 07:47 AM

I feel like a dumba$$ for not knowing. But I didn't ask what kind of a top it was. I guess since I didn't know anything about tops the name wouldn't have matered though. I am happy with it. I had the same problem (which he did not fix) with that railing. I asked about it on here and found out you can buy those from the parts houses. If I would have known in advance I'd have gone ahead and had it fixed also. Oh well, I've got a cowel vent repair in my future, probably next year after the vette is paid for. So I'll just add this to the list.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed

Hotelbldr 06-11-2001 08:16 PM

Brian
If that trough is available from some parts house please let me know which one. I hope whoever told you that is reading this, because the only thing I've seen that may be confused for that part is actually a part of the exterior body panel above the trunk lid and does not include the trough. I would be so much easier to cut it out and replace (weld) it than it would to fiberglass it (although fiberglass will last longer). by the way did you casually let it slip about a bowtie in your garage http://www.mustangworks.com/msgboard/wink.gif
later

------------------

Brian Browning 06-12-2001 07:21 AM

I'll check, I think it was National Parts Depot but I'll double check. I'm at work now so it'll be a day or 2. Yeah got a bowtie in the garage (with the Mustang) and one in the driveway. I'm an equal opportunity motorhead. If I had more space I'd probably try to find a Road Runner too.

Brian Browning 06-14-2001 07:26 AM

I remembered to dig out a catalog last night.
Its called a "tack strip kit, rear top". The ad copy says "Fits in rear well area where the top, window and well liner attach to the body. These are screwed ino the body and encase the tacking material for stapling the top, window and well liner to.

Part # 41475 -1A
65-66 without notches in the long rear
strip.

Part #41475 -1B
65-66 with notches in the long rear strip.

Its 99.95 from NAtional Parts Depot
800-368-6451.

Now I have not tried this, so I can't swear its what we're looking for. But I've had folks on this forum tell me this is what we need. And from the picture in the catalog (not very good) it looks right.

Good luck.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed

Hotelbldr 06-14-2001 10:36 PM

Brian, I got out my NPD catalog to see these parts, unfortunately these are not the pc's that are rusting out. These pc's are needed for fastening the top to the rusty trough. I've Talked to my mechanic (over 30 yrs restoring mustangs) his take on the trough is it's not a pc any manufacturer makes, probably not enough convertibles made to make $$$$ out of this pc. I don't understand why every convertible I've seen is rusting thru in the trough
So off we go to fiberglass the trough, it'll be better than new when we're done and it wont rust out again.

------------------
66 burgandy convertible; 306 (289 bored .03 and 302 crank) edelbrock: Performer intake,4v carb; hurst 4 spd; 2.8:1 rear;Classic Auto Air perfect fit AC; Pertronix ignitor, 17x7 American Eagle 211's w/ 22545zr17 Toyo proxes

[This message has been edited by Hotelbldr (edited 06-14-2001).]

Brian Browning 06-15-2001 07:40 AM

Bummer!
Looks like I've got the same thing in my future. So far mine doesn't appear to be leaking, at least from washing it. It'll probably leak like crazy in one of these summer thunderboomers though. I think between this and the cowel I know were next years tax refund is going.

------------------
65 convertible
289 Hi Po
4 speed