MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-26-2000, 12:59 PM   #1
DebsStang
Registered Member

Post Cooling Problems

My 1967 GT, 289, 4b is running hot. We had a new heavy duty for A/C (although I don't have A/C)radiator put in last year. We just had a 160 thermostat put in and had the radiator and engine flushed, today, (the radiator was found to have pieces of rust stuck in about 1/3 of the holes presumably coming from the enginer block). We also had a couple of the hoses replaced. I drove it at lunchtime today, around 60 to 70 mph and it still got hot. It didn't overheat to the point of throwing up antifreeze, but it still got hot. It only seems to do this in the summer (in Florida). It's about 90+ outside today. Just can't figure out what the problem is. The radiator is flowing good. We tried the "no thermostat" but read doing that is not good so we put in a 160 degree. Had a 180 prior to that. (Oh, I also have very low oil pressure when the engine gets hot and I believe my ignition timing is off.)

Any help would be appreciated.

Deb Henderson
DebsStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 01:09 PM   #2
Shawn
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Get that timing set correctly, when I throw the timing up on my cleveland at the track it tends to run around 10degrees hotter than at stock. Also check your spark plugs, wrong plugs can cause it to run a little hotter than it should...and finally, hows the water pump and the fan? I've had cooling problems many times with my cleveland, putting in a high volume water pump dropped the temperature a little bit, but installing an electric cooling fan worked the best, dropped the temp quite a bit, and also cleaned up the engine compartment alot too...just don't go cheap on the electric cooling fan, I had a generic fail on me once. Would recommend a black magic fan...hope this helps a little...
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2000, 01:43 PM   #3
DebsStang
Registered Member

Thanks for the help. We'll give it a try and see what happens.
Old 09-26-2000, 02:53 PM   #4
69fastback
IRAQ VET

i too have had cooling problems so I know have went to a griffin aluminum radiator and i am switching to an electric fan i am hoping this is going to help me. An aluminum water pump should help to since aluminum gets ride of heat better.

------------------
69 428 cobra jet:bored .030, forged aluminum pistons, C & A rings, Engle cam, Edelbrock intake, 750 cmf carb, Hooker headers, March pullies, all ignition componets MSD, Holley 7psi fuel pump, Art Carr C-6, TCI torque converter, 4:30 gears, H pipe, subframe connectors, lift bars.

I aso have a stock 96 GT.
69fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2000, 05:33 AM   #5
stretchx1
Registered Member

question 3 cor or 4 cor radieator how maney blades on fan my 67 hade trouble after rebield went to 4 cor and 5 blade fan hade to go back to 180 thermo 160 wood not hold water in rad long enouf to cool
stretchx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2000, 07:13 AM   #6
DebsStang
Registered Member

I believe it's a 4 core and there are 5 blades on the fan. The wierd thing is that this morning I took the radiator cap off and let the car run for 5 to 10 minutes while getting ready for work. The water didn't seem to be flowing through the radiator. Before we had the radiator and engine flushed due to rust bits being in it, it had great flow. Can't figure it out, but it seems to be worse since we had it flushed. Maybe the water pump is bad? We didn't think so before because the water was flowing. Would the 160 thermostat do this? A family mechanic said to put it in so the engine wouldn't get so hot.

On another note (or could be related); this is from my husband. When the engine is hot and I restart it, it blow a lot of white smoke. Any ideas on this. It also blow smoke when I step on it hard or kick in the 4bbl. I assumed this was from the carburetor.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-27-2000, 08:17 AM   #7
USMCOBRA
Registered Member

this exhaust has white smoke when the engine is hot, uh oh, get a compression test done if you have two cylinders that are very low (compared to the rest) and they are side by side, you have a blown head gasket.This may have been caused by overtemping the engine (check the water pump) or just one of those things that go bump in the night, it happens.
USMCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2000, 07:36 PM   #8
make7UPYOURS

yes, definetly sounds like a blown head gasket!! do a compression test. i just went through all this exact same stuff with brother in laws 67 stang. by the way, we both own/race street 67 coupes and have just about seen it all. if you ever have any questions feel free to ask. another thing is my family and i were just in ft. meyers all last week on vacation. do you have a drag strip close to there? nice town, sanibel island had the nicest beach i think. not the fast paced crowd like on the east florida coast, more like old people going there to vacation/retire. anyway....good luck.

------------------
67stang coupe, carb on 5.0, 4 speed, 4.11's....8.41 @ 83mph in 1/8 wanting 7's