MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2002, 01:54 AM   #1
fordkid68
Registered Member

Default cost diff between 289 and 351

aight you might just think I am A yung kid that is dreaming but I haev every intension of doing this so your input would be appresiated veary much.

ok as you all know by now my car A strraight six. and after I get my body fixed I am going to be putting A v8 in it. now I would like to know how much the cost would be between building A 289 and A 351w. I plan on doing most the work my self(well with my dads help of coures)

thanks
ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 09:11 AM   #2
John Z
Registered Member

If you don't have a block to rebuild, then you can buy a long block from several manufacures. Mine came from PAW. You can do a web search for ford crate engines and find many vendors. One I looked at the 289-302 blocks were about 900 and the 351W was about 950. The other parts you would need, like carb, headers, motor mounts, etc are about the same cost between the two engines.
Don't forget that there is a lot more to the swap than just the engine. Here is a write up of what is needed for a 65-66, the list for the 68 is similar:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3...ecial/6to8.htm
HTH
Old 08-09-2002, 12:35 PM   #3
fordkid68
Registered Member

John Z what is A crate motor. is it A block with all the internals allready in it. or what. sorry if that is A stupid question.

yea I know there is alot more then just swapping engines. but I didn't know exactly what so thanks for the list.

so there isn't much of A differents between cost. is that correct.

thanks
ford kid
Old 08-09-2002, 12:47 PM   #4
John Z
Registered Member

Crate engines are basically completely assembled engines sold by many remanfactures. I just did a net search for "crate engines Ford" to find the prices that I gave. You then need to check to see what is included with the engine. You can also buy complete engines from autoparts stores - but beware there may be quality issues.
Since you're starting fresh - I don't think there would be a big difference in either cost or effort between the 289-302 and a 351W.
You have a lot of research to do before you start this project, keep asking questions.
I forgot that the guy that did the page for the 65-66 conversion has a seperate page for the 67-68 cars. http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/3...l/67I6tov8.htm

Last edited by John Z; 08-09-2002 at 12:54 PM..
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2002, 04:47 PM   #5
fordkid68
Registered Member

John Z thanks that helps alot. and you can be sure that I will be asking alot of questions. but I knw to try to search for it myself before I ask the questions. other wise I wouldn't learn anything.

thanks again your help is appreaciated.

thanks
ford kid
Old 08-12-2002, 04:57 PM   #6
Jeff65
Registered Member

A crate long block 302 from Ford Racing costs $3,000. A 351w crate from them costs $4,995. There are other sources and if you find good engines used, you can rebuild them and save money. Here's the usual gouge...you find your $1000 rebuilder engine from salvage yard and take to rebuilder. He quotes the cost of rebuild at $1,600. You sign up for it expecting to have a total of $2,600 invested. Trouble is it isn't exactly what you want and so you ask the rebuilder, "Can you do some head work while you're at it? I want rocker arm studs to be bolt in and I want to use larger valves with high temperature seats...can you do this? Your rebuilder says, "Sure!" Some weeks later he tells you your engine is ready. He also presents you with a bill for $3,300. You ask, "Hey, I thought you quoted $1,600?" He responds, "Well, yes I did but then you asked for the rocker arm and valve work so that is in addition to the $1,600! Thats what you wanted, right?" The fact is engine building is expensive and the expense only starts at the $1,600 level. Be sure you know what you want and then state what you want and NEVER add anything to the work order or you'll have sticker shock at the outcome.
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 06:45 PM   #7
fordkid68
Registered Member

yea I know what you mean. my brother in law is getting his 64.5 mustang 260 engine rebuilt. and he wants some head work and larger valves and it is costing him alot more then just 1600.

well I really dont want A used engine any ways. but I got alot of time to think about it. cuz it will be at least 3 to 4 months before I get started on the project. pluse the time of work it will take and the engine is the last thing. but thanks for the advice cuz at that time I am sure I will be hurting for money and that tends to change people's minds.

thanks again every one.

thanks
ford kid