MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 02-03-2003, 09:23 PM   #1
Yellow67GTA
Registered Member

Default leaking cowl vents?

Help!!!!!!!!

After moving to the humid and wet climate of the south my 67 mustang has developed some nasty leaks. All of which seem to point to the vent cowling. Is there a way to check if its leaking without riping it apart. As far as I can tell the sheet metal appears to be fine looking up at it from under the dash or has anyone experienced a similiar problem but it turned out to be water getting past the windshield weatherstripping or wiper openings? Your advice is appreciated.
Mike
Yellow67GTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 09:16 AM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

I had a badly sealed windshield in a 66 that I thought was a cowl vent because water came pouring in around the heater. I think I would get the cowl cap and see if it goes away or not. Cross your fingers and hope it still leaks. If so, I would go after the windshield first.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 02:05 PM   #3
Neuromax
Registered Member

The easiest way I know of is to pour a bucket of water or use a garden hose in your vent in front of the windshield. If you see water come in under the dash you have some problems.
Neuromax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:14 PM   #4
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Cowl Problems

I agree with Thunderbolt (?). I had a similar problem with my '67 coupe. I ran some water from a hose into the cowl and it drained out nicely behind the wheel-well. Turns out that the windshield needs to be re-sealed. Try that before you spend bucks on something that won't fix the problem. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Cowls et al

Hey, after I posted my reply I noticed that you are at Columbus AFB. I had the pleasure (?) of instructing at Columbus about 30 years ago. We used to go to a place called Lackey's outside of Columbus for the best catfish we have ever had. Is it still there? I am just starting a major re-build of my '67 so perhaps we can compare notes. Cheers. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 10:47 PM   #6
Yellow67GTA
Registered Member

Cool

Hey all thank you for the replies and ideas. Sorry for my delayed response but pilot training certainly keeps one busy. I'll try and see about getting the windshield resealed and see what happens. I did buy and use a cowl vent cap but I think the seal is a little worn after nearly 3 years of use. I keep you all posted.

Mike
Yellow67GTA is offline   Reply With Quote