MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-01-2002, 02:25 AM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Question Custom Ram Air

I wanted to build a custom ram air box without having to highly modify any perminant frame parts. Anyone have web sites or any ideas or a custom system they built that i could get ideas from to use on my setup?? thanks
Old 10-07-2002, 11:29 PM   #2
Lightspeed
Registered Member

Default ?

what do you mean by frame parts?
67 coupe, 289 ,c4, bored .40, flat tops, crane powermax cam,edelbrock torker 2 intake, edelbrock perf. 600 cfm carb, accel cleaner, ignitor 2 ignition, hooker comp headers, hooker aerochamber mufflers, H-pipe, b&m 2500 stall, b&m ratchet shifter...and more soon to come....
Lightspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:41 PM   #3
66StangGuy
Registered Member

by frame parts i mean the front pannel that sits verticle on the left and right of the radiator. im not shure what its called but i have seen ram air setups from ramairbox.com where you have to cut holes for air intakes and put in a trunk mounted battery. Id rather not do this to my mustang and i was wondering what other people did to improve airflow to their mustang and what kind of power increase they got from it. i am posting this because when i do get cool air at my motor when its nice and cool outside i notice a huge power difference. right now i just have the regulair paper filter and chrome cover but i will change to a k & N once i have the money. i start working at pepboys tomarrow. anyway any ideas or comments welcome
Old 10-08-2002, 12:12 AM   #4
fordkid68
Registered Member

try this site out. I know it's A inline six engine but hopfully it will help.inline fever

go to inline induction ideas and scroll down almost to the bottum to see A good pic of it. and then go to ram air installation to see how he made it.

hope that helps

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 01:48 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

Default Custom ram air

I did build one for my '66 using a 33 gal oil drum and home air coditioning ducts and plastic 4" corrogated flexible yard drain from Home Depot. My battery is mounted in the trunk and I did cut intake holes in the radiator support. Basically, I just enclosed the air cleaner and ducted fresh air into it. I used Bondo to attatch the adjustable AC ducts to the enclosure. The clearance under the stock hood is very tight as mine uses a 3" K&N filter element.

Again, I did move the battery to the trunk and I did cut the holes. Really don't see any other good way to do it.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:51 PM   #6
fordkid68
Registered Member

ok sorry to get off the subject but this thred got me thinking about doing this to my car. but one question before I start cuting holes. how much hp will this give me. is it worth it or not. I have tried to contack the guy on th inline fever site but no responce.

thanks
ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 03:55 PM   #7
joinrdie
Registered Member

Ok, so I have no proof for this, but my dad (sort of a muscle-car guru) said that sometimes, a poorly engineered ram air setup can create turbulence under the hood at speed and actually reduce horsepower. Of course, fresh air is always good, which is why most of these cars came with snorkels tucked up under the battery. There, they can get cold air without creating any turbulence due to wind.

I would be very interested to see some before/after ET's to prove or refute this.

http://www.mach-sr1.org
joinrdie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2002, 05:20 PM   #8
Rev
Registered Member

Default Air cleaner

The way mine's configured, with the K&N air filter in the standard location, I believe that the filter element would straighten out any turbulence that occurred in the cold air/ram air ducting and enclosure. Your dad's right though, there is turbulence in the duct work.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote