MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-17-2001, 10:12 PM   #1
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Post Cylinder Head Porting

Looking for some input as to where everyone would send a new set of E-bok Preformer RPM heads for porting. They are going on a 351W with a 426 stroker. Street driven 68 FB with AOD and Art Carr convertor.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 09:44 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Personally I would try and do it myself, because the porting will be minimal, if not you are just going to have to find a good machine shop in your area.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 11:23 AM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

dude, that's quite an engine...the first call I would make if I lived in Florida would be to Steeda. I bet they could either do the work or direct to a quality machine shop.

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 11:53 AM   #4
Moxie
Registered Member

Panhandle Performance, (850) 265-9818. They're in Lynn Haven, FL.

------------------
Moxie Racing
Moxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2001, 02:12 PM   #5
bossman-motorsports
Registered Member

There are various stages of porting done to the heads, each concentrating on a specific area of the head (ie bowl, combustion chamber, intake and exhaust ports, etc). The labor costs involved can range from a few hundred dollars to well over a 1000 bucks (per head). I am currently finishing up the bowl porting on my TFS Twisted Wedge which basically involves smoothing out the area beneath the valve (and valve seat). No real reshaping is going on, rather a smoothing using an 80 grit roll on a long shank. This helps speed up the fuel flow and adds around 20 - 25 horsepower. Gasket matching (intake and exhaust ports) has shown not to aid very much in the horsepower department. Based on your cam/valvetrain and the application (street or strip) will determine the amount/extent your heads need reworking. Be very careful though, as more is not necessarily better, especially on the street. My shortblock for my 65 X-tremestang is based on a 1995 Lightning 351W shortblock assembly that has receive a full blueprint and balance from Mark Jeffrey at Coast High Performance in Torrance, CA. My displacement has been left stock and I am using a TFS roller cam 542/563 with Harland Sharp roller rockers. My car is being built for the Nevada Silver State Classic Challenge wherein you are allowed to run top speed over a 90 mile stretch of a public highway in the state of Nevada. To view progress of my car, go to www.bossman-motorsports.com and click on CURRENT PROJECTS. If you need more info on Coast High Performance, email me or check out any of the popular Mustang mags as they advertise in quite a few.
bossman-motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2001, 01:13 PM   #6
Trey Ragsdale
Registered Member

Ditto on Panhandle Performance, especially due to their proximity.
Trey Ragsdale is offline   Reply With Quote