MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2000, 11:31 AM   #1
dbotone
Registered Member

Question Damaged shaker scoop

I recently acquired a 1970 Mach 1 with a shaker hood. The shaker scoop is slightly flattened on top. Is there someone who is adept at restoring the shape and finish to this part? Thanks.
dbotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2000, 04:34 PM   #2
tmc87
Registered Member

I am very good with fiberglass and urethane reinforced fiberglass. Can I get a picture to see what need to be done?
tmc87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2000, 11:02 AM   #3
dbotone
Registered Member

Smile

The scoop is made of "pot" metal. I gathered my courage and took it on myself this weekend to reshape it after I sought the advice of a local body shop guru who is an accomplished rebuilder.

Here is how it went: I supported the scoop on the edges with some blocks of wood. I then laid a strip of leather on the impact area, used a large rubber mallet as the striking block and struck it firmly with a hard plastic hammer, working my way out to the edges. I finished up with a smaller block of wood in place of the rubber mallet, to work the smaller areas. Believe it or not, the scoop looks perfect. All that is left now is to repair a couple of small chips in the metal and refinish.

Does any one have any ideas on filling the dings (small but noticeable)? Do you braze these or fill them with some other filler. Also some have suggested a powdercoat finish instead of paint, any ideas?

[This message has been edited by dbotone (edited 06-12-2000).]
dbotone is offline   Reply With Quote