MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-29-2002, 07:35 PM   #1
Big-T
Registered Member

Default Differences among years...? Which engines fit?

I'm trying to figure out the various years of the early Mustangs. Am I correct in understanding that the 64-1/2' to 66' Mustangs are largely the same (in terms of overall body structure, etc.)? From 67' and on they are slightly larger, right?

Will a 351W fit in a 66' and earlier without modifications? I assume they go right into a 67' and later model without problem.

I am thinking of getting a late 60's (67' to 70') fastback for a project car. Are the fastbacks relatively speaking rare?

What exists in terms of aftermarket suspension systems that go beyond just improving the existing suspension? For example, I've seen subframes for early Camaros that take Corvette suspensions, does anything similar exist for the Mustangs? The point being - can it be upgraded with some modern suspension parts to improve handling? I'm drawn to a classic Mustang with a 'modern' handling and performance.

Any thoughts?

T.
Big-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 07:54 PM   #2
fordkid68
Registered Member

yes the 64 1/2 - 66. are the same. the body parts are compatible. as the same for the engine.

and I have heard A 351 will fit in A 66 with A sertan set of headers. but dont quote me on it.

and as for the suspension goes you will have to wait for some one ellse to reply(and they will).

ford kid
fordkid68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 09:39 AM   #3
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Fordkid is right on with the 351w in the early mustangs. As for suspension, there are several things that exist for upgrading the suspension, but I am not entirely sure what you meen. Check out Mustangs plus, (there are others, but I know these guys have it) they have a large selection of upgrade and aftermarket suspension components and maybe that will answer your question.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2002, 11:05 AM   #4
Big-T
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thunderbolt
Fordkid is right on with the 351w in the early mustangs. As for suspension, there are several things that exist for upgrading the suspension, but I am not entirely sure what you meen. Check out Mustangs plus, (there are others, but I know these guys have it) they have a large selection of upgrade and aftermarket suspension components and maybe that will answer your question.
Thanks! I also found another one: www.totalcontrolproducts.com. They have some really cool stuff!

T.
Old 12-02-2002, 11:58 AM   #5
Big-T
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Big-T
Thanks! I also found another one: www.totalcontrolproducts.com. They have some really cool stuff!

T.
ahh...

I guess Mustangs Plus is the main distributor of Total Control Products....

T
Old 12-03-2002, 03:21 AM   #6
COBRA66
Registered Member

the 351w will fit as everyone said, u shouldn't have to worry to much about the exhaust side of things. As for suspension unfortunatly ur not gonna have to many options. Total control was mentioned and i would go with them. But i wouldn't buy from mustangs plus. I found them to be very over priced. Try a smaller hod rod shop, they should carry or be able to order the parts u need.
And the 67-68, 69-70 fastbacks aren't really rare their just hard to find in a decent condition.
Just my .02
COBRA66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2002, 11:28 PM   #7
Young_Pony

Alright, 65,66 mustangs are roughly 2 inches shorter and 2 inches narrower than the 67-70 mustangs. The 351w will fit in the 65,66 fastback, if your interested go to horsepowertv.com and see if you can buy the tapes where they put a Tremec 5 speed and injected 351w in a 66 fastback. Also if your main concern is going to be handling i would go with the 65, 66 cars, they are the lightest of the vintage mustangs, Fastbacks are about 50-100lbs heavier than the coupes but have better handeling characteristics (reason shelby's are fastbacks), where the 67+ are more muscle cars and built for the big blocks. As for suspension find a local shop that is know for there work, there is a guy in Fontana, Calf. that dose excelent work, he changed the whole front suspension for a friend, all custom fabrication and this thing will keep up with the vetts and vipers. well thats my .02

steven