MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-05-2002, 03:10 AM   #1
66StangGuy
Registered Member

Default dis. advance?

i currently have the vaccume advance port plugged because i have an adjustable vaccume canister on my dis. and i can never get it set right so i just leave it off. i was just wondering if there was a kit to change the springs and weights in the dis. also what is the average price for this and what different type of kits? any recomendations on what kit to get. The car feels that it does not have enough advance at high rpm's. any ideas? thanks

almost forgot its a ford motorsports dis. basically stock
also running msd if that changes anything.
Old 06-05-2002, 05:21 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Reconnect the vacuum advance. Weights and springs will alter the rate at which the mechanical advance comes in. They won't increase the advance. In order to do that, reconnect the vacuum advance, and that will then be added to your mechanical advance.

Spring and weight kits are available at most auto parts stores. The last one I bought was probably 10 years ago, and cost less than $15.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 11:11 PM   #3
66StangGuy
Registered Member

ok. so the kit will change the rate the advance comes in then? thats what i need. i will reconnect the caccume advance and run it for a few days and see how it goes. its an adjustable one and it never seems to adjust right. one day its good and then the next it seems off. i readjust and its fine again. Just dont want too much advance to ping the engine.