MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-19-2003, 07:10 PM   #1
gavidoc
Registered Member

Default Newbie Question about Disc Brakes

Hi Folks!

This is my first time here and I gotta tell you, it's great!

Just what I've been looking for.

I've got a question for you all.

I recently purchased a 67 Standard Fastback with a 6cyl in it and 4 bolt pattern drum brakes.

I also got in the same deal a 67 Deluxe Coupe with a 289 5 bolt but drum brakes.

I was wondering the following:

I've got hte chance to pick up some mid 70's Pinto Disc Brakes (rotors, calipers but no spindles) and was wondering if htey would work on a 67.

I'm new to this and any help is appreciated.

I do know that the Pintos are interchangeable with a Mustang II and that you can put wheel cylinders and pads from a 71 Mustang on a 74 and up Pinto.
gavidoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2003, 02:16 AM   #2
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

some pinto/Mll rotors use the same wheel bearings as the 67 mustang, but you have some problems;
1: the wheel bolt patterns are not the same. the 67 uses a 4x4.5 bolt pattern and the pinto uses a 4x4.25 bolt pattern.
2: you have no caliper mount, nor any provision for one. the 67 mustang used the same 4 piston caliper the 65-66 stangs did, and if you used that caliper mount the pads would half off the rotor.
3: you can use pinto/Mll spindles, but the steering geometry would be screwed up as the pinto spindles are a front steer spindle and the 67 is a rear steer spindle.

if you want disc brakes use the 70 up brakes from a granada, torino, monarch, maverick, comet, montego. also grab an 8" rear froma granada or maverick so you can add 5 bolt wheels to the rear as well.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 03:37 PM   #3
gavidoc
Registered Member

Thanks Rbohm.

What would have to be done to get the Pinto rotors to work considering htey have a 4x4.25 and not a 4x4.5?
Old 06-23-2003, 08:34 PM   #4
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

either have a machine shop drill for a new bolt pattern, or use he right wheels. you would also need to build a caliper mount to use on the mustang spindles. at this point i must tell you if you have little or no fabricating experience, and little experience with automotive brake systems, you are best off and many dollars ahead by getting the system from stainless steel brakes that uses the four lug pattern. i realize that a cobbled together system can and usually does cost less initially than the properly engineered system, but if you ahve an accident(god forbid), you will have to repair your car, and if the accident was your fault, the other persons car at the least. if the other person sues you, their laywer will crucify you on the stand for building something dangerous, even though what you built was in fact perfectly safe, and that could cost you a ton of money. not to mention your insurance company could possibly not pay on the policy because you modified the vehicle in an unsafe manner, which means even more oney out of your pocket. so before you take the step of building your own brake system, think long and hard about it. there is a guy on the fordsix.com message boards who is fabricating his brake system for his mustang. this guy has alot of fabricating experience as he builds adaptor plates for mounting T5 transmissions to the early 2.77 3spd bellhousings, and he is having to solve problems he didnt think of at the time. he still has to test his system as well. if i sound like i am trying to discourage you from trying, you are right. i have a degree in automotive technology, and have raced cars for a few years, and hae tried to keep up with technology over the years. if you choose to go ahead with the fabrication, best you study every book you can find on brakes and brake systems. also study the books put out by carol smith. he was a race engineer who had many years experience, including the shelby project liket he cobra's and gt40's, as well as formula one. the books he wrote are, tune to win, engineer to win prepare to win, and nuts bolts and fasteners. he was working on another book as well but i dont know if it was ever finished or published. those four books will give alot of insight on how things really work on a race car, and that knowledge can be translated to the street. sorry for the length, but this is something i am passionate about, and i want you to have fun with your can and be safe(well as safe as you can be) as well.

fordsix.com admin
Old 06-24-2003, 06:12 AM   #5
gavidoc
Registered Member

[QUOTE[B]either have a machine shop drill for a new bolt pattern, or use he right wheels. you would also need to build a caliper mount to use on the mustang spindles. [/QUOTE]

Luckily I'm a modelmaker by trade so fabrication isn't a problem.

So you can use the standard drum brake 5 lug spindles?

I've got 2 cars, 1 has a 4 lug pattern with drum and theother has 5 lug with drum.

The Pinto rotors and calipers have a 5 bolt pattern.

That's why I'm confused.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:03 AM   #6
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

The Pinto rotors and calipers have a 5 bolt pattern.

?????????? unless they were custom drilled that way by a machine shop, pintos and mustang ll's all had 4 bolt wheel bolt patterns. maverick's(most) and granada's had 5 bolts. in fact the mustang did not get 5 bolt wheels again, except for the svo stangs of the mid 80's, untill 94 when the new body style came out. ok saleens had 5 bolt wheels but they were NOT put on by ford, they were put on by saleen.

fordsix.com admin
Old 06-25-2003, 08:52 AM   #7
gavidoc
Registered Member

I went to a Pinto Message Forum (yes they do exist ) to find out IF Pintos came with a 5 bolt pattern.

Turns out in 75, Ford started to do the V8 Pintos with a 5 bolt pattern.

My question, would the spindles off a granda/maverick work with a 5 bolt PInto rotor?

I don't see why it wouldn't as I would guess the rotors for the 5 lugs would be the same across all platforms.

Even if it is not a Pinto rotor and caliper, they are stamped Ford Motor Company on them. FOMOCO or whatever it is (can't remember). Even later year Mustang II's had the 5 bolt according to the pinto forum because the rotors and calipers are interchangable.

I appreciate all your help in this.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:30 AM   #8
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

i think some one is pulling your chain. pintos never came with a V8 for 5 bolt wheels. i have owned two of them, and have been a pinto fan since they came out. the biggest engine a pinto ever came with is the 2.8 V6, and even those had 4 bolt wheels. also mustangll's never had 5 bolt wheels. again someone is pulling your chain. you can use granada rotors on pinto or mustang ll spindles, but you need the right caliper maounting bracket as sold by many street rod suppliers. you can use the pinto rotors on the granada spindles as well, but again you would need a special caliper bracket and none is available for that swap, as people dont go to smaller brakes. by the way, can you give me the url for the pinto forum you went on?

fordsix.com admin
Old 06-27-2003, 11:00 AM   #9
Shaggy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rbohm
also mustangll's never had 5 bolt wheels.

I have to disagree A buddy of mine has a 78 mustangII with the 302 and it has the 5 bolt wheels on it from the factory as far as pintos i don't know never had one . would lkove one to put one of my 351's into though.
Old 06-28-2003, 02:59 AM   #10
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

did he buy the car new?? if he did and can show an invoice indicating 5 bolt factory wheels, then i will accept that. but untill then a stand by what i said. all mustang ll's came with 4 bolt wheels. it is possible a po had 5 bolt wheels put on to get a larger selection of wheels for the car.

fordsix.com admin
Old 06-29-2003, 06:46 AM   #11
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

ok guys here is the deal, ALL pintos and ALL mustang ll's had four bolt wheels. NONE came from the factory with 5 bolt wheels. this from the guys over at www.mustangii.net

fordsix.com admin
Old 06-29-2003, 08:21 AM   #12
gavidoc
Registered Member

Thanks Rbhom.

I'll have to see if I can dig up that Pinto Message Forum.

It was a message board hosted by yahoo

He'ssupposed to bring the rotors and calipers by next week so I'll know then if they mount to my grnada spindles.