MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Door Panels

Well, I finally ordered a bunch of stuff for the interior of my '67 coupe. I have a question about the deluxe door panels. I've got a bag of the clips that are used to secure the panels. It appears to me that you just position the clips in the panel, align them with the holes in the door and then go around banging them in with the heel of the hand. Am I right or did I miss something? Also, the new panels did not come with the little "cups" that go in the hand hold and the hole for the door handle. I called all of the "usual suspects" - Texas Mustang Parts, Dallas Mustang, NPD, Year One, Mustangs Plus - and no one carries those things. Any ideas. The ones in the old door panels are in pretty bad shape but if need be, I will try to re-use them. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #2
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Default Re: Door Panels

You got it right on installation. Just make sure they are lined up right so they go into the hole and snap in easily or it can turn and pooch out your new door panel.

The cups are hard to find, maybe unavailable, I haven't looked because mine is a 65. Take them and clean them with Simple Green or Greased Lightning, or some other strong cleaning product, you will be surprised how they come out.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Orange97GTVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. The hand hold cup is metal so that should be fine. The one for the door handle is plastic and is quite badly cracked and chipped. Guess I'll have to use some "Oklahoma engineering" if I have to re-use that. E.
Old 03-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #4
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Speaking of Oklahoma engineering, if you can't make them look good enough, Mustang Parts of Oklahoma has a full Classic Mustang wrecking yard with lots of good parts, chances are you can find some better than yours. www.mustangokla.com. They are on I35 just as you come into Oklahoma City.

1997 Mustang GT Convertible, 4.6L Auto, Autumn Orange w/Saddle Tan Top & Leather Interior, Styling Bar, 17 X 9 Polished Cobra R's on Nitto NT 555's, Ford Racing Bullitt Suspension package, Mac CAI, Steeda UDP's, Flowmaster 40 Series Catback, SCT X-Calibrator II, Zaino Shine, 7 time Show Winner, driven daily
Old 04-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #5
Elvis
Registered Member

Spent the weekend trying to get the new interior stuff into my car. The carpet was OK after I figured out how to get the console out. It did need a bit of trimming. The dash pad is minimally acceptable. I can see the flaws but I suppose it looks good to the casual observer. But the door panels - that's another story! I ordered them from Texas Mustang Parts but the company that shipped them is called Dashes Direct. Anyway, I can line up the clips along the top of the panel but after that the holes in the panel for the clips are way off, sometimes about an inch. Anybody experienced anything like this? Any suggestions? HELP! E.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:30 PM   #6
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Look at the hole for the clips on the back side of your door panels, they are elongaged so that the clip can move to line up with the holes in the door. The clips slide to line up and go in straight. I haven't seen any that would not line up, do them one at a time until the clip is partially in the hole of the door and then pop it with your hand to fasten them to the door. Good Luck!!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #7
Rev
Registered Member

Mine had round holes in the door panel, but I often had to "orient" the spring clip to the round hole in differnt areas at the edge of the hole to make the spring clip line up correctly with the hole in the door. The clips were attatched at the door panel at different places on the panel holes in order to line up with the door holes. I hope this makes sense.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #8
Elvis
Registered Member

Actually it does. I started the whole process by inserting one clip in the top row and trying to orient the rest off of that. By the time I got the top row aligned, the window crank hole was not centered and the bottom row was way off. I'll try again this weekend starting by centering the window crank hole and adjusting the individual clips. Frustrating but a labor of love. E.
Old 04-05-2005, 09:11 PM   #9
Orange97GTVert
Mustang Fanatic

Just take your time and be careful, it will all be worth it in the end.

Old 04-07-2005, 03:42 AM   #10
James67
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
Well, I finally ordered a bunch of stuff for the interior of my '67 coupe. I have a question about the deluxe door panels. I've got a bag of the clips that are used to secure the panels. It appears to me that you just position the clips in the panel, align them with the holes in the door and then go around banging them in with the heel of the hand. Am I right or did I miss something? Also, the new panels did not come with the little "cups" that go in the hand hold and the hole for the door handle. I called all of the "usual suspects" - Texas Mustang Parts, Dallas Mustang, NPD, Year One, Mustangs Plus - and no one carries those things. Any ideas. The ones in the old door panels are in pretty bad shape but if need be, I will try to re-use them. E.
The reproduction deluxe door panels that I used on my 67FB had the cups already intergrated into the arm rest of the panel. Separate cups were not needed.
James67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #11
Elvis
Registered Member

James, do you recall where you got them? Perhaps I can order the cups from them. E.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:12 PM   #12
Elvis
Registered Member

Well, another frustrating weekend. There was no way to get the door panel clips to line up all the way around the door panel. In order to get most of the top row to fit I had to widen the hole for the window crank. The bottom row was hopeless. I ended up drilling a couple of holes in the molding at the bottom and screwing the panel to the door. I guess it looks OK but I can tell that it has been "Oklahoma engineered". So far I only managed to do the drivers side. The passenger door will have to wait until my blood pressure recovers. E.