MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-26-2004, 12:09 AM   #1
DrPhilgood
Registered Member

Default Drip rail chrome molding install

I have a 67 coupe that Im trying to install new chrome molding on the drip rails but it wont snap on. I can get one part on and then as I move down the chrome, the part that already snapped on, snaps off again. Is there a secret to it? Should I sand down the paint off the rail before trying to snap it on?

For those of you who have helped me with previous threads, thanks. Im getting this done one step at a time with all your help.

Proud owner of a 1967 Coupe
DrPhilgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
induction
The Brit!

Lightbulb

Try this,It worked for me when I reinstalled them on my '65;

Line up the moulding on the car an tape the far end in it's respective place using a small pice of masking tape . Then go to the oppasite end and attach the moulding with an upward motion. It may not lock on completley so just hold it in place as you move in sections untill you get to the taped end. Now go back and secure the places that didnt take hold using the heal of you hand.
Or
Agian, line up the moulding on the car and start in the center of the moulding strip and secure it with a pice of masking tape. this time woug from the center outwards with a downwards motion to secure it. It's also a good idea to have a friend give you a hand with it as not to scratch your newly finished paint job.
hope this helps.
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 02:25 PM   #3
Kisner
Registered Member

After my 68 was painted, the drip rail moldings were absolutely, without a doubt, the hardest part to install on the entire car. The paint was just too thick and it took me and a friend over 2 hours. We also ended up using a rubber hammer to finally get it to snap in place on the bottom and hold. A few places we even had to hammer it from the bottom to basically lock it in place. In hindsight I wish we had just taped over the primed drip rails and never painted them (there's no paint left anyway on the bottom edge now - but it can't be seen). Or at least taken some fine sandpaper and carefully sanded down some of the clear on the face and bottom edge. It can be done but you'll definitely need a helper and a lot of patience.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: