MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-24-2003, 08:28 AM   #1
orlowted
Registered Member

Question Drum Brake to Disk swap

I am ready to tackle the brakes. Has any one done a front Drum to Disk swap over and can you reccomend a kit. I want to do it right the first time and would really like a "Bolt-on" kit that will just require minimal effort and work without mods to the car. It is currently a 289 with power steering (converted to manual) and a single bowl master. I would also like to go to a dual master while I am converting. I see lots of misc set ups on E-bay, but it always seems that the fine print says you will need to purchase this or that to complete the swap. The last thing I want to be doing is running around looking for parts.

TJ
orlowted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 09:15 AM   #2
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Well, I'm looking at the same situation, and what you get will depend on your budget and how much work your willing to do yourself.
There are a lot of websites for doing the granada/versailles swap, but that requires a lot of junkyard digging. Personally, I am thinking about going for the SSB kit that they have in a lot of the mustang mags. its kinda pricey, but comes with everything. (according to NPD, the kits are about 1k for the front and 700-900+ for the rear.)
let me know if you want the granada/versailles stuff. I'll post a few links.

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 08:14 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

Default Did mine on '66 coupe

I got my Granada disk brake kit from Jim's Mustang in El Cajon Ca. It included all new parts except for good used Granada spindles and rebuilt calipers. It was a complete kit. I did have to make a bracket that limited the rearward movement of the brake pedal arm as the actuating rod was not captured in the MC. Cost was about $650 to my door in Houston.

I did put in a power brake booster kit from National parts depot that included another newdual reservoir power brake MC and installation fittings. About $400 to my door.

Also bought to enhance braking was a high tech brake lining kit from Praise Dyno brakes. It included new stronger springs and hard ware for about $250 to my door in Houston for pads, shoes, and hardware.

I did buy the MC twice so I paid $100 too much by doing the upgrades over time, first for standard and later for power. The total was about $1300 the way I did it, but could have been $1200 if I had done it all at once. Good brakes now and stops sure and straight.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
7DMACH1
Registered Member

Master Power Brakes. I've used their kits and have been very satified. http://www.mpbrakes.com/db1524m.htm RAY
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
orlowted
Registered Member

Question Single Piston

Rev - I checked out the web page and the price is definetly in line. I have been looking around and the big difference I see it that some places have single piston brakes and some have 2 piston brakes. Is there really a big difference? I know there is in the price, but what about the performance???
Old 12-01-2003, 09:02 PM   #6
Rev
Registered Member

Default Calipers?

You mean the pistons in the calipers don't you? I think the 2 piston calipers may be slightly better. The single piston Granada front disks work plenty well though.

On the MC, don't even consider anything but the dual cylinder/piston unit. The old single reservoir/piston "fruit jar" MC is truly obsolete.

There are power boosters now that will fit with the longer dual cylinder MC's as previously mentioned. Good luck with the upgrade.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2003, 09:09 PM   #7
7DMACH1
Registered Member

I have their kit with single piston calipers and manual brakes. Stops my 567hp fine. RAY
7DMACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2003, 04:10 PM   #8
orlowted
Registered Member

Default Hope to purchase soon.

Yes - I did mean the pistons in the calipers. I have not purchased anything yet...I am now looking at a transmission rebuild kit before I take on the brakes. I also want to get a new shifter (Hurst) is what I hear makes a really nice tight shift. Thanks for all the advise on the brakes. I think what I have learned is that as long as I use a reputable dealer - I should have no problems stopping the car.
TJ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: