MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-08-2001, 10:31 PM   #1
66fastback
Registered Member

Red face EFI RUNS TOO GOOD, busted U-joint

Yep, I got stranded on the side of I35 again. That's twice in a little over a month. I can't believe that it came apart like that....really shook the car HARD.

Worst part was after pulling the shaft and replacing the joints, the car wouldn't start. I got under it again to check the starter and found it had BROKEN OFF THE MOUNTING TABS. I think it had been mounted on the engine with only one bolt when I bought it, and probably cracked the tab. The shaking must have finished the job.

So after ANOTHER trip to the auto parts store (it took two stores to get both U-joints) I got it running again. Really sorry night after only having the fuel injection running for two days!! Running better all the time now.

I'm just really glad that the drive shaft didn't drop, losing the front U-joint can pole-vault a car, and I was doing nearly ninety at the time--and pulling pretty darn good too

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 06:53 PM   #2
red
Registered Member

Talking

Hey Doc,

Time to get the Shelby drive shaft safty loop from Branda. I put one on my '65 before the last time I went to the drag strip.

I know how ya feel, I have been dead on the side of the road with my mustang many times. The last time my transmission forward gears went out but reverse still worked. Drove about 2 miles home in reverse. The neighbors must think I'm nuts.

How'd ya get your home w/o the drive shaft?

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2001, 07:22 PM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

I have not gotten a drive shaft loop. My exhaust cross-over is right behind my front u-joint and underneath the drive shaft. I figure this would keep the front of the drive shaft from falling down and doing the pole vault thing. Drive shaft could still come up through the floor board, but I think that's unlikely. Am I missing something, or is there some other reason for a drive shaft loop? I know there is a NHRA rule requiring one in cars under 14 sec. e.t. Any other advantages?

Rev

------------------
'66 Coupe, 306, 300 HP, C-4, 13.97 e.t., 100.3 mph
1/4 mi.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 01:25 PM   #4
66fastback
Registered Member

Yeah, I hear you on the safety loop. I figure not pole-vaulting the car is reason enough to invest a few $$ on one. I guess the other reason is to not beat up the bottom of the car....and doesn't the rear brake line run down that tunnel....just a thought.

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
Old 01-10-2001, 06:45 PM   #5
red
Registered Member

Wink

I can't think of any other reasons.
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 11:03 AM   #6
MercDude
Registered Member

DUDE!! I have had 2 blown c-4 auto trans... i blew out the main input shaft, count it, 2 TIMES in under 2 months!! I feel your pain RED!! Dude... i just had my father come and get me instead of driving backwards for about 5 miles... LMAO!! that is really funny thinking back on it... i guess that 340hp 302 was going to eventually take out my trans I've rebuilt that damn thing 3.5 times... yeah 3.5 times in the last 3 years of owning it (1: $500 cheap rebuild-what did i expect? 2:trans blew, per shop did overhaul for $1800 3: towed car back to per shop to rebuild for free 4: trouble with trans, replaced valvebody). I've NEVER HAD any problems with my engine (well... except valvetrain, but that doesn't count :|) but i'm loosing faith in the c-4 trans... is this just a fluke?

------------------
'63 Merc Meteor hardtop, warm 302, C4 auto, 2.25" Flowmaster Exhaust,
'65 289 heads - ported/chevy valves, performer cam, edelbrock f4a intake, full length hookers, 600 holley, roller rockers, k'n, 10.5:1 hyperutetic pistons... mid 13's hoping to reach into 12's
MercDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 12:27 PM   #7
66fastback
Registered Member

My guess is you've got more power than the stock type C4 can take. You might look into a race prepped model....or step up to a C6.

OH YEAH...add voltage regulator to the list of damage directly caused by the U-joint.

------------------
Old 01-11-2001, 01:57 PM   #8
MercDude
Registered Member

I rebuilt the trans the second time with a faulty low gear kit. This kit replaces the input shaft with an input shaft from a TH200. Figures that that chevy sh!t would break in my trans. This time it seems fine, but the valve body was going ie: wouldn't shift into 3rd no matter what rpm. then that got replaced and everything seems fine so far... but who knows?
------------------
'63 Merc Meteor hardtop, warm 302, C4 auto, 2.25" Flowmaster Exhaust,
'65 289 heads - ported/chevy valves, performer cam, edelbrock f4a intake, full length hookers, 600 holley, roller rockers, k'n, 10.5:1 hyperutetic pistons... mid 13's hoping to reach into 12's

[This message has been edited by MercDude (edited 01-11-2001).]
MercDude is offline   Reply With Quote