MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-10-2001, 09:33 PM   #1
blk88lx
Registered Member

Angry electrical problems

Hi all,

Man am I glad I found this site. I got rid of my 85 Capri to move into the injected wold with an 88 LX. Unfortunately the car has all kinds of electrical problems. Electrical is not my strength so I'm hoping someone can help Hree are the 2 most urgent problems:

1: Replaced both O2 sensors. each plug into a plug with 3 wires. On the drivers side there is a 4th broken wire coming off the harness. No idea where it goes and the computer is giving me a bad O2 reading (car runs bad too)

2. The other day the electrical gage dropped to 11 volts and kept going down till the car died. Tested the battery and alternator both OK. I moved the starter selenoid back to its original position (prev owner put it in the wheel well where the tire would occasionally hit it!) hooked everything upbut still nothing. Then I took the little wire (from ignition I presume) and put it on the top seloniod post and the car started! But died when I turned the lights on. Also, none of my gauges functioned properly.

Any help on these 2 issues would be appreciated as I am stumped.

Thanks, Jayson.
blk88lx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 02:34 AM   #2
elmir50
Registered Member

Its hard to help you out without seeing the car first hand. The best advice I could give you is learn how to use a multimeter if you do not already know and find a electrical shematic diagram for your car. Learn how to read the shematic if you do not already know. If you give some better descriptions (ie. color of wire, where coming or going from exactly) I can help you out.
elmir50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2001, 11:39 AM   #3
Five.Oooh
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blk88lx:
Hi all,

Man am I glad I found this site. I got rid of my 85 Capri to move into the injected wold with an 88 LX. Unfortunately the car has all kinds of electrical problems. Electrical is not my strength so I'm hoping someone can help Hree are the 2 most urgent problems:

1: Replaced both O2 sensors. each plug into a plug with 3 wires. On the drivers side there is a 4th broken wire coming off the harness. No idea where it goes and the computer is giving me a bad O2 reading (car runs bad too)

2. The other day the electrical gage dropped to 11 volts and kept going down till the car died. Tested the battery and alternator both OK. I moved the starter selenoid back to its original position (prev owner put it in the wheel well where the tire would occasionally hit it!) hooked everything upbut still nothing. Then I took the little wire (from ignition I presume) and put it on the top seloniod post and the car started! But died when I turned the lights on. Also, none of my gauges functioned properly.

Any help on these 2 issues would be appreciated as I am stumped.

Thanks, Jayson.

Hey jason, i'm not too sure on #1 but for #2 how is your voltage regulator? Did you test the volts of your battery with the car off then on? The second reading sould be about 14v and the first 12v. I had the same problem with the cars volts dropping. The alternator seemed alright but i swapped it for another and she charges prefectly again

------------------
90' Red Acura K@N Filtercharged!
92' White Mustang GT
Emblem Delete
*more to come just got her 6/2/01*
Five.Oooh is offline   Reply With Quote