MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-31-2001, 10:11 AM   #1
dutchman's 66
Registered Member

Question engine overheating

I have a 66 mustang with a hyped up 289 w/ 302 heads and a 1/4 in. racing cam. For some reason when ever I am driving it for more than 30 min.s it tends to over heat. The thing is that I just rebuilt the engine but before all this began to happen it never over heated. Since this has happened I've replaced the water pump the thermostat and I'm even thinking of changeing out my radiator. I just can't seem to find the problem. please help !!
dutchman's 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2001, 05:14 PM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

Were the head gaskets installed correctly? sealing the front water passages. What's your timing at? Maybe try playing with it. My temperature went down when I advanced my timing. Try it and tell us what happened.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 12:18 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

Unhappy

Sometimes things just change. I hope you find answers, but the answer to my problems have been extensive and expensive. When I first got my car it had a mild cam and 2 row rad. and it worked fine. When I upgraded to a cam with about .500 lift I had to get a 4 row to stay cool. Then I got ported 351 heads and a .520 roller cam and had to go with 2 electric fans, pusher and puller minus belt driven fan. Then I dropped in a high performance 347 with aluminum heads, .600 roller cam and much more and now have to use the fans and an aluminum rad. And now I want a/c. I live in Houston where it's hot, 95 degrees isn't that uncommon.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2001, 12:50 PM   #4
David Fulford
Registered Member

Running too lean can cause a hot engine. Also getting a spacer that puts your fan closer to your radiator might help. I've heard mixed opinions about the fan thing but it has worked for some people.

------------------
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers;
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote