MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
carboy
Registered Member

Question Engine potential

After rebuilding my engine I cannot get over 5k RPM, it starts missing badly. Before the overhaul I could get over 7k with no cutting out. I'm running 12 degrees advance. I've replaced my stock fual pump with a Holley blue electric pump. Any one got any Ideas on why I can't get any higher on my RPM.
Also this is only under a load, because I can sit in the driveway and rev it over 7 k and it doesn't cut out at all,,,just when I try to run it hard down the road.
66 coupe, 306 balanced bluprinted, performer intake,725 Road Demon, Crane Cam, Tri-Y Headers, factory Shelby glass packs 2 1/4 with exit in front of rear wheels, 3:50 rear, 8 inch rear, mustang plus suspension, 41/2 mideye leafs, 620 springs on front, kyb gas shocks. tony branda shelby hood, r-model valance, rear side scoops(functional),stainless steel slotted front brake system,,13.39 1/4 mile with no slicks and no posi.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 04:07 PM   #2
jim2f
65 coupe

Default Re: Engine potential

Are you sure it is ignition? Was it doing this before the pump replacement?
jim2f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #3
talaposa
Registered Member

Does it backfire through the carburetor? If so it may be jetted lean.
Or it could be related to too large of a carburetor. When you hammer it on the road the engine sees a large volume of air and if there is not strong enough a signal it may run lean until rpm catches up.
talaposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
bored
bored

I would take a look at the accelerator pump to make sure its working correctly
bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
goodyear1984
Registered Member

well i wouldnt blame it on the ign system cuz it will work in the driveway.i wouldnt blame it on the carb being to big because that would be more of a problem in the lower rpm rather then the higher rpm and as far as accelorator pump that would be a problem with throttle response because it only pumps fuel when you press down on the gas and doesnt do anything if your just wide open in a gear.now it does sound like its running outta fuel by the way u explaned other then the missing it would have to be pretty lean to miss.i would go thu the bassics and check your float levels make sure theres no vaccum leaks.one thing you can do is get a vaccum gauge and plug it into manifold vaccum, tape the gauge to the windsheild and see where the vaccum level is when its breaking up that will tell you if its running lean or rich
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote