MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-16-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Engine Rebuild - Part 2

Well, I did it. Had my '289 which is really a 302 rebuilt at an engine shop in Dallas and they did a great job at a terrific price. The problem is that I hired a friend who is out of work to pull the engine and reinstall it. He has done this many times for others and has rebuilt several cars so I thought he would be able to handle it. Well, when I finally got it back it ran great but within an hour there was an ocean sized pool of transmission fluid under it. By the way, the engine had been removed without removing the transmission. First he suggested that he put in a "filter kit" which he did but it was still leaking. Now he says I need to get a new dip stick and tube which I have ordered. The problem is that I have lost confidence in his ability to diagnose the problem. Is it possible that a dip stick tube could cause such a massive leak? Any other ideas? I need to get my car on the road. Help!!! E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default dip stick tube

With the engine at rest, the fluid level in the tranny is above the junction of the dip stick tube and the trans case. The dip stick tube uses an O-ring to seal that junction. It can and does often leak at that O-ring seal when not running . While driving the trans fluid level is below that level and there's no leakage. A new O-ring seal at the dip stick tube/trans case might fix it if that's where the leak is.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:40 PM   #3
Elvis
Registered Member

Thanks Rev. It was while the car was sitting in my garage that the leak occurred so you may be correct. I believe he did replace the "o" ring when he put the filter kit in but perhaps it did not seat. I am just grasping at straws. Anyway, I will replace the dip stick and tube and see how that goes. Any other ideas will be appreciated. I need to get my toy on the road. E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote