MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #1
Registered Member

Default Engine Removal

Im pulling out a 302 out of my 68. i have everthing disconnected except the motor mounts and the tranny. the motor mounts are easy but how do i disconnect it from my engine. i have a manual that tells me how to do it but i was hoping someone would be able to tell me in simpler terms.
68302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 05:02 PM   #2
Rev
Registered Member

Default Question?

I'm not qite sure what the question is. Are you asking how to disconnect the transmission from the engine? If it was me, I would just remove the two together and take them apart after they're removed. Then put them back in assembled. If I've got the question wrong, please clarify.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 08:25 PM   #3
71grande
Registered Member

Definately pull them out ogether if you can. It avoids you having to juggle the engine / Trany trying to align them later upon re-insertion. I disconnected them in my RX-7 and after fighting the alignment for two days I just dropped the tranny out the bottom and put the two together and then slipped them both in together. Much simpler.

Mike

My garage: 1971 Mustang Grande, MSD6A, 625 Road Demon JR, Edelbrock Performer manifold, Hopes and Dreams...

1970 Norton 750 Commando

1993 Saturn SC2. The wifeys. fuzzy dice and all.
71grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 12:10 AM   #4
6T9PONY
All about the Windsor.

Both times I've pulled the engines out of my Mustangs I separated the engine from the tranny and pulled it out that way. Then dropped the tranny out from underneath and worked on them separately. I didn't have any problems at all lining the tranny/engine back up. If you get the engine balanced level with the cherry picker and have the tranny pretty much in place, go in straight with the engine it would almost go right together. A little manipulating and it was ready to be bolted up!

Anyways, if the problem you're having is unbolting your tranny from your engine, all you have to do is remove the starter and tranny gravel shield. Turn your crankshaft with a big socket and find the studs that go through the flywheel from the torque converter. Remove it and turn the engine to the next one, etc. Then there will be a few bolts that go through the bellhousing into the engine from the rear of the car....If you want the tranny out you'll have to remove the driveshaft and then either remove the tranny mount bolts and slide it out to the front, or remove the transmission crossmember altogether and it will all drop right down.... Just a simple explanation....if you need anything deeper let us know....
6T9PONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 05:14 AM   #5
mustangman65_79
My poor 79 RIP

If your removing the mount from the motor, it should only be two bolts on each side.
'94 Lightning
'96 Trans am
mustangman65_79 is offline   Reply With Quote