MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Blue68Coupe
68 Coupe 289

Default Engine running hot

So my 289 started running hot all of a sudden. I know it's been hot here but the temp gauge never moved near half let alone 3/4. I have a high flow 180 degree thermostat. I tested it on the stove and it opened right where it was suppose to.

So I took off the radiator cap and ran the engine. I did not see the radiator empty when it opened. Actually I noticed when I rev the engine the flow increases inside the radiator. That tells me is open but It tested fine.

The engine is newly rebuilt but the radiator is original. I am wondering if the radiator is not cooling it enough so the thermostat never gets cool enough coolant to close. I am leaning toward replacing the radiator.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: Engine running hot

You could just replace it or take it out and send it to a local radiator shop and have them check it for restriction.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:18 AM   #3
88ponyboy3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue68Coupe View Post
So my 289 started running hot all of a sudden. I know it's been hot here but the temp gauge never moved near half let alone 3/4. I have a high flow 180 degree thermostat. I tested it on the stove and it opened right where it was suppose to.

So I took off the radiator cap and ran the engine. I did not see the radiator empty when it opened. Actually I noticed when I rev the engine the flow increases inside the radiator. That tells me is open but It tested fine.

The engine is newly rebuilt but the radiator is original. I am wondering if the radiator is not cooling it enough so the thermostat never gets cool enough coolant to close. I am leaning toward replacing the radiator.

Anyone have any thoughts on it?

fan clutch is bad i would say, start the car and watch the fan spin and then shut the engine off and watch the fan, it should not spin around after the engine is turned off but a few times
88ponyboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
Blue68Coupe
68 Coupe 289

Thanks but no clutch fan but I did convert to a variable fan from the old X fan.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 PM   #5
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Well, one suggestion would be to get a temp gauge that has a numerical readout... that would give you a more definitive read on what is happening.

Does it heat up just while idling/sitting in traffic or is it a problem even when you are driving?

It's a rebuilt engine... any chance that you have a set of underdrive pulleys on it?

Have you tried turning on the heater when the temp is rising? Does it blow hot air? Does it change the water temp?

Is it blowing water out of the radiator cap? Any puddles? The hotter the water gets, the more the pressure will be...

Did you flush the radiator when you had the motor rebuilt? If you did, how bad did the water that you were draining look?
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:20 AM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

If you havent had the Radiator cleaned out, do so and give yourself a good baseline. Couldn't hurt any especially since you have a new rebuild.

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote