MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-14-2004, 04:35 AM   #1
Sketch
Registered Member

Default Engine transplant across decades and models.

Okay, so, I don't exactly have a Mustang, I'll start off by saying that.

What I do have is a '67 Falcon, and before you laugh, I'll have you know it's not one of those little tiny tin cans of the pre '65 years. This is my baby: http://www.nehantish.com/Falcon.jpg

Well, I've had her for about six years, and she's only run for about five months. My dad tried to fix it, and blew the engine and radiator, so I'm a bit more willing to go with a different engine now than I used to be.

After about two years of searching, I have not been able to come up with a V8 of similar year that isn't a total waste. So, I've been talking with some Aussie friends of mine (The Falcon is still a popular muscle car down there, by the way, and the '67 is considered a great car, at least the XB GT's) and they were telling me that it would be possible to graft an 80's Mustang 302 into what I have now, and it would be far cheaper, and easier to find than a working vintage engine.

Right now, she's got a shot straight six 200 ci engine and an automatic transmission. I'm more than willing to replace both the engine and tranny, but would like to keep it automatic for the sake of not having to rip her to shreds to do the changeover to manual. I'm not looking for a muscle car, but simply an inexpensive engine that can move the car at a decent pace, and won't be sluggish starting from a full stop.

If there's anyone here who can tell me if:
1: it is possible to mount an 80's Mustang engine to a transmission that would fit in a '67 Falcon?
2: how much work would be involved?
3: what kind of transmission would work for it?

Any help would be appreciated. I know I'm new here, and my ride isn't a pony, but you guys looked pretty knowlegable. And if nobody here knows, could you at least direct me to a source where I might be able to find the answers I'm looking for?
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 AM   #2
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

I dont know a whole lot about Falcon's. Other than the fact that, thats where Mustangs came from. I believe they were both built on the same platform. So far as dropping in a 5.0 and tranny, I'd find out what were the option motors for the Falcon back then. If you could get one with a V8, 289 or 302, backed up with an auto trans, probably a C4. Then yes You should be able to do it without much trouble. People are doing the 5.0 swap into early Stang's alot now. They're even keeping the fuel injection to get better gas mileage. Does anyone else have info?
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #3
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I'd sell it. Unless it has some kind of meaning to hang onto it for. If you keep it, fix the 6 banger and drive it that way.

Otherwise your going to have to change alot of parts to go with a V8. Although it can be swapped with no problems, why do it? Plus its a 4 door. You will never be able to recoupe you money if you try to sell it.

Go out and find a V8 car. Then 3/4 of your problems are gone.

Frank.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:38 PM   #4
Sketch
Registered Member

The straight six is shot. Utter toast, and irrepairable. Thank my dad for that one.

I am not looking to sell it. I love the feel of the car, and I can't abide having a two-door car ever again. I haul way too much stuff, and too many people to try that mistake again.

Recouping my money is of no concern to me. I intend to have the car for, well, forever. It's not going up for sale as far as I can see, and should I buy another car, it'll be a long ways down the road. Besides, she looks good to me, and I've done enough work to her already, so I figure that an engine swap might do her good. The inline six also provided too little power to move it at an adequate speed, and had great trouble with hills (which there are plenty of in my area.) so I would like the extra power provided by the V8.

I'm not looking to ever race her, I just want enough power to comfortably move the thing.
Sketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 10:00 AM   #5
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Off the top of my head, I would say that the swap procedure for a mustang of similar year would apply (still a lot of work). As for suitable engines, I would recommend getting either a 302 of similar vintage, or you could get one out of a Grand Marquis (Not, as a rule beat on as hard as a mustang 5.0, ) and convert it to carb. You might be able to mate it to a old c-4, depending on the bellhousing/input shafts etc, but I dont know if the 6-cly c4 was different or not. If you go with the marquis motor, keep in mind that its been a bit de-tuned as opposed to a 5.0HO, but you can always swap in what you need/want.
Besides MustangII, theres always something to be said for a classic 4-door sleeper

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 04:40 AM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I have never owned a falcon, but can tell you the 289/302 platform will fit. It is going to be a lot of work putting the v-8 in a v-6 car, but I personally think a 4 door v-8 car could be a sweet ride.

I think you are on the right track trying to get a newer 80's 302...let whatever years and models you have plentifull there help you decide which one to get. As far as transmissions, you should try to run a c-4 that was built for a v-8, autos usually built for v-6's are not as beefed up as the v-8 versions (generally).

Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 07:51 AM   #7
Dark Knight
Registered Member

the BEST engine you could find would be an 85 302HO, roller cam and carbed..

couple options, but with the later 302, you'll either need to use all the late model accessoriesand serpentine setup, or go with a different balancer.. they make one for the swap and v-belts..
you'll need an AOD flexplate to use with the c-4 too..
or a let model one..

with the auto and a stock 302, the rear end should hold up fine..
13.58@102.84 and a '68 stang .. project 8 sec street car... 557 big block + N20 :-)
http://members.cox.net/darkknight302/68nwrear.jpg
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote