MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-05-2001, 03:19 AM   #1
Blakeeatworld
Registered Member

Post Engine uprade too much for car?

just found this forum, looks like a great place for a youngin like myself or newbie to learn. I have a '68 coupe with a pretty much stock 289, and was wondering if i put a 4bbl carb and intake, and threw headers on it if the car could handle the power. If not, what upgrades would i need to make to it to hold up.

Thanks
Blakeeatworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 03:34 AM   #2
Fostang
Registered Member

Does upgrades are not really anything big. Should handle them with no trouble. Start getting into the 350+ hp level and then thats when reinforcement of chassis comes into play.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 04:08 AM   #3
66 Racer
Registered Member

yeah, you'll be fine, i have a 289 with a holley 4bbl carb and headers and the car runs like it can handle way more, one thing though that you might want bigger tires to keep the car planted.

------------------
Under Construction 66 Coupe
-289 V8 4 barrel Holley 600cfm carb - Headers - Flowmaster 2 1/2 dual exaust
66 Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2001, 11:00 PM   #4
Blakeeatworld
Registered Member

Yes, that's what i was hoping to hear. Would you guys recommend a new 9" differential?

i have 15" wheels with BF goodrich Comp T/A's that are relatively new. I was told that the comp T/A's are pretty much as good as it's gonna get for tires....truth?

also, i was planning on getting an edelbrock carb and intake(any recommendations on model?) and hooker headers. Good plan?

[This message has been edited by Blakeeatworld (edited 08-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Blakeeatworld (edited 08-06-2001).]
Old 08-06-2001, 01:56 AM   #5
jwboner
Registered Member

Comps aren't the best, but are about the best thing for the street. I would go with a 600 DP over the Edelbrock, and go with Hooker headers, they fit ports better than hedman and outflow tri-Y.

------------------
65 fastback
347 DFI injected, TFS heads, T5, 4.11 9", tc subframe conns, torq thrust D's
A little history lesson using today's tech.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 12:06 AM   #6
macx
Registered Member

If you don't plan on going too hot on the
mods - just a nice warmup - try the Performer. A little step up from there, more like the Performer RPM but with most of the
lower rpm torque of the Performer, is the Weiand Stealth. Your stock cam and heads are quite limiting, so intake/carb/headers isn't going to help much until you free up the rest of the system. As for chassis, I'd recommend
at least a monte carlo bar to tie the front
strut towers together to prevent front end flex. If you ever need to rebuild the suspension, I used 1" lower heavy rate F & R springs from www.canadianmustang.com with their exclusive Midolyne bushings - ride firm and handle great but without the harsh road shock of poly. You might want to watch out for deals on GT40-P heads like off of Explorers - very good upgrade for very resonable price. Watch Ford/Mustang mags for ads. Or even check out the junkyards. But you need P specific headers which ARE available. Then with a moderate cam of maybe
210 intake duration @ 050 and anywhere from
430 to 470 or so lift (check cam mfg's and ask about piston clearance) it would really wake up the motor without spending a fortune and it would still be very streetable with excellent throttle response across the rpm range.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2001, 05:08 PM   #7
Blakeeatworld
Registered Member

thanks guys, i think i'm in the right direction now.

------------------
'68 Coupe 289

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: