MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-13-2005, 06:05 PM   #1
SCHOONER
Registered Member

Post Engine Well Painting

Hi Guys its Schooner again

I'm going to pull my engine soon. In order to PAINT THAT DARN MESSY ENGINE WELL.

So here I am with a foldable engine hoist and a buddy willing to get this ol' man a helping hand ~ GOD bless Tom.

THE QUESTION(S)

Just how in the world is the best way to approch this project

I MEAN WHAT TO DO FIRST:
LIKE: WHAT TO USE TO GET RID OF THAT LUMBY BLACK UNDER-COATING THAT IS SMEARED ALL OVER THE FIRE WALL AND FENDERS AND AT ONE POINT EVEN ON THE UNDER SIDE OF MY HOOD.

I took care of the hood with: "GOO GONE" What GREAT STUFF that is.
SECONDLY: SHOULD I USE AN EPOXY PRIMER
AND LASTLY: I WANT TO PAINT THE ENGINE WELL THE SAME COLOR OF MY CAR. THINK IT WILL LOOK SHARP.

THE COLOR IS: TAHOE TURQUOISE or TAHOE TURQUOIS METALLIC
IT DOES HAVE SOME KINE OF FLAX IN THE PAINT. WHAT'S WHY I THINK ITS 'TAHOE TURQUOISE MATALLIC'

" WHERE IN THE WORLD WILL I GET SUCH A SPRAY PAINT COLOR "
I'VE LOOKED AND GAVE-UP, NEED HELP ON THIS ONE TOO GUYS.

ANYWAY(S) . . . lol

JUST HOW ON GODS GIVEN EARTH WOULD YOU GUYS APPROCH THIS PROJECT IF ITS WERE YOUR CAR. SOMETIME THOUGH I THINK IT REALLY IS YOUR CAR ! ! !

O.K. GENTLEMEN I'M IN YOUR HANDS AGAIN ~ THANK GOD

SCHOONER
SCHOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Phillyfanfrombirth
Registered Member

Default Re: Engine Well Painting

I'm no paint expert...

But there is no replacement for patience... and deep pockets.
Phillyfanfrombirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
gbeals
68-351W

Im getting set to do EXACTLY the same project. My engine will be completed next week sometime (351W with some goodies)

Im waiting on my engine stand to arrive - Renting a Hoist.

I first went through and made sure I unhooked everything that was needed to be unhooked in the bay. I then went through again, and found more that I missed. Im sure when I actuall pull it, I'll have some more to still disconnect.

Once the engine is out, Im planning on utilizing all of these small sanding disks (2" - 4") (all different grades) That and some air tools should get me started on smoothing out all the crap spots, and bad paint job from the previous owner. Then it's on to my dual action sander - followup by the ever so powerful block sanding by hand. Primer entire bay - Start block sanding again - spray a super light top coat of flat black - then start sanding, the flat black will show you where you have dips, dents, etc. Then it's re-primer - wet sand - Paint engine bay your desired color. In my case Im either going with satin or gloss black. Not sure just yet which.

Hope this helps - not to detailed but it's the basics of what to do. Oh one thing I've learned - dont rush make this a long project!
gbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM   #4
bears4ever
Registered Member

I've already done this. The easiest way is to have the engine bay sand blasted. I tried using degreasers and sand paper and air tools but there was just too much grime. Having it sand blasted got rid of all that and exposed any rust that was hidden under the grime. Just a thought to make it a little easier. i went with black satin. Turns out great.
bears4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:47 PM   #5
gbeals
68-351W

Prob. sand or bead blasting is the best option. I on the other hand lucked out with a pretty clean bay to begin with, no rust, just a sloppy paint job.

Do you have any pics of the finished satin black engine bay? I'd like to see that? What about cleanup? Im sure glossy is easier to clean, and make look clean. How does the satin compare?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:58 PM   #6
bears4ever
Registered Member

Sorry i dont have any pictures of the engine bay empty. As for cleaning? Not sure. i'm still in the process of restoring the car. The glass is going in next so i can finish the interior. I won't have this on the road untill next year. If i had to do all over again, I would paint the engine bay the same colour as the car. I did a dark cherry colour and I think the flow when you open the hood would have made it look awsome with the chrome and engine. This is where a gloss paint would stand out better than a satin. Not complaining because I do like the way the car is turning out.
Old 11-16-2005, 08:01 PM   #7
gbeals
68-351W

How much paint did you use for the engine bay alone? Coats? I ask cause my first reason to go black was ease. I am going to have the engine in this puppy long before the car is painted - but now you got me thinking, why not just purchase a small small amount..
Old 11-16-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
bears4ever
Registered Member

I ended up doing just 2 coats of black satin. More than enough. It covers really nice and any scratches can easily be fixed. I used a spay gun not the aerosol spray. Just make sure if you sand blast to use an epoxy primer on the car. If you send the car out for sand blasting they will do this for you.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:14 AM   #9
SCHOONER
Registered Member

Boy, you guys are something else. Lots of info on my engine bay painting.
I got still more QUESTION(S)

1. If I wanted my car's engine bay sand blasted I'd have to have it towed to the place where their do that ~ RIGHT?

2. How much $$$ with the blasting cost rough estimate if you will.

3. O.K when I get the engine out and I got all the goo off the fire wall and other places. Would an EPOXY PRIMER by BEST?

4. I need to find the color paint for my car or come close to possible to that colour.
which is; TAHOE TURQUOISE anybody out there in message board land got that
colour on their car ? ? ?

Last question: WHERE CAN I BUY THE AUTO SPRAY PAINT. DO YOU GUYS RECOM-
MEND ' KRYLON PAINTS FOR THE ENGINE BAY?

THANKS GUYS

GOD BLESS YOU ALL

SCHOONER
SCHOONER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:26 PM   #10
bears4ever
Registered Member

1) Some sandblasting places will come to your house. You could always arrange to tow it there and have them do it right then and there and then tow it back.

2)I live just outside of Toronto and I paid roughly $800US to do my entire car . Sandblasted, Soda blasted and epoxy primer. Inside and out.

3)absolutly

4) If you can take a sample of your paint to a body shop they might be able to reproduce it.
Not sure what kind of paint in the US but you could go to napa to find the right black satin.
Hope this helps

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: