View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
gbeals
68-351W

Default Re: Engine Well Painting

Im getting set to do EXACTLY the same project. My engine will be completed next week sometime (351W with some goodies)

Im waiting on my engine stand to arrive - Renting a Hoist.

I first went through and made sure I unhooked everything that was needed to be unhooked in the bay. I then went through again, and found more that I missed. Im sure when I actuall pull it, I'll have some more to still disconnect.

Once the engine is out, Im planning on utilizing all of these small sanding disks (2" - 4") (all different grades) That and some air tools should get me started on smoothing out all the crap spots, and bad paint job from the previous owner. Then it's on to my dual action sander - followup by the ever so powerful block sanding by hand. Primer entire bay - Start block sanding again - spray a super light top coat of flat black - then start sanding, the flat black will show you where you have dips, dents, etc. Then it's re-primer - wet sand - Paint engine bay your desired color. In my case Im either going with satin or gloss black. Not sure just yet which.

Hope this helps - not to detailed but it's the basics of what to do. Oh one thing I've learned - dont rush make this a long project!
gbeals is offline   Reply With Quote