MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-06-2001, 02:27 AM   #1
castle-twice

Question Engine Won't Start......

Just tonight on the freeway my baby died on me and wouldn't start again. Just with a few minutes of trouble shooting i found the problem. I unplugged the hose from the carb and turned it over and no gas is coming out of the fuel line. Before I go work on it tomorrow i need some quick input. Am i looking at a new fuel pump?? Or sending unit in the tank?? Or something else i haven't thought of?? any input is appreciated.
Old 03-06-2001, 09:25 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Lightbulb

It sounds like you are on the right track, you said you disconnected the fuel line at the carb, do you have an in-line filter from the carb to the pump? If not disconnect the fuel line from the tank at the pump and check for fuel. If you have fuel there than you have isolated it to the pump or a clogged filter.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2001, 12:54 PM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

Clark is right as ussual...it's either the pump or the filter....UNLESS you've ran out of gas. No I'm not saying you're and idiot or something...I had a sending unit go on me once and I ran out when the gauge said I still had a 1/4 of a tank. Until that day a 1/4 tank had always meant I had 2-3 gallons left. Stupid me thought "well 1/4 now equals empty, I will just fill it up before it get's down that far." Well, the next tank I ran out at the 1/2 tank mark. A new sending unit fixed the problem, but it was very frustrating. Throw a can of gas in it and see what happens.

It could also be possible to have a leak in the line from the tank and suck air instead of gas, but you would smell gas real bad I would think.

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote