MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-07-1999, 04:03 AM   #1
66fastback
Registered Member

Talking engine's ready--can't wait

I finally have the engine ready to go into the car! Roller cam, roller rockers, windsor jr. heads, windage tray. It's making me crazy looking at it on the engine stand.

I'm also taking advantage of having the car apart to swap over to cable clutch. I am really looking forward to getting rid of the squeaky old setup. Now if I can just hook up that efi I got laying in the corner....

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, 3.40 gears, Fuel Injection soon

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-1999, 11:04 PM   #2
thunderbolt
Registered Member

Sounds good. You have to tell us how it turns out when it is done. By the way, what differential do you have? I haven't seen 3.4 before. What 5 speed did you use? I really want to know how this combo works for you.
thunderbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-1999, 01:59 AM   #3
66fastback
Registered Member

It's got an 8" rear end. I picked up the 3.40's at a track event in Tulsa. I haven't seen anybody selling a set like this either--at least not new.

The 5-speed is a T-5 unit from an 1988 Mustang. Any 5 speed from these cars made from 1985 or so to 1994 will work. If you are going to buy one used, look for one from at least 89 or 90 up. These are a little bit stronger than the older one's, but I haven't had any trouble from mine....nearly 100,000 miles and counting. I use Redline MTL synthetic in it, which some of the late model folks think is a no-no. I have a high mileage tranny that shifts like a dream that would dissagree. If I were buying one new, I would get either a SHD T-5 (Z-BOX), or a Tremec 3550.

This combo works great. No way to compare it to the old 3 speed/3.00 gears. No way at all, the excelleration is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH better, and I cruise at 70 mph at 2000 rpm. I think I'm gonna get some 3.80's (Richmond Gear) and an Auburn traction loc though. Sounds like fun to me.

[This message has been edited by 66fastback (edited 07-08-1999).]
Old 07-08-1999, 08:43 PM   #4
70musclecar
Registered Member

Sounds as though you are really going to be kicking some seriuos booty with your stang .
also sounds as though you have a good bit of time in your ride . hope it turns out as well as you hope (even better) .
thanks for your input to my questions .
70musclecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-1999, 03:58 AM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

It's really surprising that I don't have more time invested in the car...most of the time is spent behind the wheel, so any work done is well repaid.

The thing that has impressed me the most about this car, is the handling. I knew I had done a lot to improve it...but never truly appreciated the results until I drove my nephews new 99 Trans Am. Great power, but when I drove it down a winding road where I run my stang all the time, the car started loosing grip at about the same speed as mine. That really surprised me knowing that he had a lot better and newer tires on his expensive new toy.