MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-27-2002, 10:04 AM   #1
stevstum
Registered Member

Default Replaced AC clutch and now car dies when I am at stop lights

I replaced the AC clutch yesterday and the car runs nice and smooth when the AC is off. I turn it on and I can fill car bog down and if I stop at a light it dies. I do now that my car idles under 500rpms with the AC off.

Any ideas how to fix this?

89 LX 5.0 5sp, Removed air silencer
Mac High Flow Air Filter
Motorcraft 8mm wires
Autolite platinum plugs
Mac O/R h-pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder
3:55 gears
Accel Super Coil (42,000)
75 mm Mass Air Meter
stevstum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 11:13 AM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I would suggest setting our idle to about 750rpm. It should stop that little problem of stalling at lights.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #3
DRASTiK
Registered Member

Make sure you reset the EEC after changing the idle. If you're unsure how to do this, do a search for the topic of resetting idle and look for the user "Jimberg". He has posted the "proper" procedure a few times.

RHC member #75

My stang is FOR SALE!!
DRASTiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 11:28 PM   #4
Coupe5oh
Registered Member

Yea when my a/c is on, sounds like im packing an e-cam heh, but my motor barely stays running at an idle with the a/c and electric fan drawing the heck outta my charge also, but reseting the ecu like stated above, helped me a little.
Police package 5spd 90 Lx, Stock original motor, 3.27grs, BM fan, fms 10.5 clutch, D&D quadrant, and adjuster, ADS chip, 180 stat, mac cai, mac h-pipe, mac subframe connectors, ASP crank pulley, ripper shifter, 26x10.5 M/T sport pros welds. 246 hp according to analyzer
Race weight: 3,120

E.t-13.57 with 26x10.50's e.t. streets. 1.88 60'

mph- 99.92 mph
Coupe5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2002, 09:52 PM   #5
fongo
Registered Member

you know, it sounds funny but I did the same thing and I found out it was the IAC valve. I replaced the whole A/C compressor and all. To my dismay, my car would start choppy and then die as soon as the A/C was turned on. This would also happen while driving and stopping at a red light.
As soon as I replaced the IAC valve, I realized how dirty and bad it was. After this, my car runs perfect with and w/o A/C on.
I hope this gives some insight or suggestions.
1993 GT, MAC Fenderwell Cold Air Induction; Accel dist.,Splitfire plugs, BBK: 1 5/8 unequal length shorties, hi flow H-pipe w/ cats; Flowmasters 2 chamber American Thunder catback system, Motorsports 3-core radiator, 180º thermostat, BBK adj. clutch quad...the rest is bone stock!..but more mods to come!!
fongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 08:49 AM   #6
vheflin
Registered Member

I had a similiar problem and like Fongo I found it to be the IAC valve. You can try removing and cleaning the valve, but be sure not to get any cleaner into the electrical part of the valve.
Mods: 80mm Pro-m mass air, 75mm Accufab TB, 36lb Bosch injectors, 255lph in tank fuel pump, Anderson power pipe, Kirban AFPR, Autologic chip, Powerdyne 9lb supercharger, Centerforce dual friction clutch, 3.73's, Dynomax superturbo mufflers, no cats, Mac shortys unequal length headers, B&M ripper shifter. MAC upper and lowers.
------------------------------------------
301.0 RWHP 350.3 ft/lbs torque
------------------------------------------
Vince
vheflin is offline   Reply With Quote