MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Modular Madness
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-29-2002, 11:39 AM   #1
Tim C
Registered Member

Default Exhaust Cutouts!!

Just finished the oil drum cap exhaust cut outs, testing sig.

Put the caps in the back of the flowmaster, 90% of the exhaust dumps infront of the rear axle, about 10% still exits the tail pipe. It sounds freakin' cool .

Tim C
Tim C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 12:34 PM   #2
StoplightWarrior
Registered Member

Cool, is it rediculously loud?

1994 Cobra #4343
Bolt on's only...

Cofounder of Raccoon Racing
StoplightWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 01:30 PM   #3
Tim C
Registered Member

At WOT it is just as loud as it used to be, but it sounds somehow more clear or sharper sounding. At part throttle cruising, and at idle it is alot louder than it ever has been. Thats outside the car though ( I had a friend drive it by where I was standing), inside the car it is extremely loud all the time. Probably a good thing I dont listen to the radio alot! Now at idle you can hear the factory cams hitting a little bit . God bless longtubes, offroad H, flows and dumps . Ill try to get a sound file sometime and post it.

Tim C
Old 05-29-2002, 08:32 PM   #4
Tim C
Registered Member

Its the same files I just put in users rides section.

Tim C
Attached Files
File Type: wav mycar1.wav (122.6 KB, 52 views)
Old 05-29-2002, 09:30 PM   #5
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Ok man that was awesome! But what exactly did you do to your exhaust. I have a Flowmaster Cat-back on my '96 GT. Can I do it too? How? What needs to be done??? Thanks
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Civic...its whats for dinner. Don't ever pull a ricer fly-by!
96GTPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2002, 10:04 PM   #6
Tim C
Registered Member

For my exhaust, I have BBK Longtube headers, a matching BBK short offroad H-pipe, flowmasters on the stock tailpipes. I installed screw caps from a metal 55 gallon drum onto my flows beside the outlet, causing most of the exhaust to dump infront of the axle. I believe Mustangworld.com has the info on how to do it on their tech page. Basically cut the caps out, and weld the female threaded ring onto the back of the muffler after cutting the hole out with a hole saw. When you want it LOUD, unscrew the cap, for quiet running just put the cap in and it would sound like it did before. Be forewarned: It is REALLY LOUD in the car with headers and and o/r h.
Tim C
Old 05-30-2002, 03:06 AM   #7
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hey Tim C.

Its louder...Trust me...Alot louder. When we passed each other today, both times, I heard you loud and clear..Its loud...It sounds awesome.

Hey, I'm not getting this Thursday off, I have to work....Sucks. My Boss said we'll get another Thursday, and Friday set up. I told him I was really really pissed because I had made some big plans. Maybe he'll surprise me and let me go early. Yeah right. I can dream cant I.

Hey...I get this Friday off still...How about Rockingham??? SOunds like an idea to me. Let me know.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2002, 04:28 PM   #8
96GTPRT
Registered Member

Tim C- This is great, I cant wait to do it but i have a question. Where can I get this oil drum caps? Like what kind of place do I get this from. I'm 17 and I have no clue. Thanks for the help.
96GTPRT: '96 Laser Red Tinted Mustang GT Convertible. (tan top). Flowmaster cat-back, Bassani X-pipe w/ cats, K&N FIPK, Hypertech 160* t-stat, MSD wires, Bosch plugs, Performance Distributors coil packs, FRPP 70mm throttle body, C&L 87mm mass air. Kenny Brown Super subs, 3.73's, BFGoodrich Comp T/A's
Old 05-30-2002, 04:34 PM   #9
Tim C
Registered Member

I got mine at the dealership where i used to work. The chemicals for the cleaning vats came in had 55 gallon drums. You could try that or maybe a local safety-cleen dealer may have some old drums for you.

good luck,
Tim C
Old 05-31-2002, 09:00 AM   #10
96GTPRT
Registered Member

One more thing Tim C- does it matter what size the hole is? My whole exhaust system is 2 1/2 inches, should I go with a 2 1/2 inch cutout or should I just go for 2 1/4 like on the Mustangworld.com site? Or does it not matter?
Old 05-31-2002, 01:00 PM   #11
Tim C
Registered Member

You should cut the hole to fit the rings you are getting (from the caps). I think it is 2 1/4 but I dont remember. Just make sure the hole you cut fits the cap with enough overlap to weld the cap on. The size isnt important compared to the rest of the exhaust, because this is more of a sound mod, than a performance mod.

Tim C
Old 06-03-2002, 07:47 AM   #12
Crackerballer
Registered Member

I will give him credit. It sounds amazing. Tim out in my headers this weekend (basically by himself w/ the little help i offered), and we had to make a trip to Lowes. The car sounds amazing

Inside it is VERY loud, I love it. Thanks Tim for the long tube install, ure the man. I can most def tell a pick up in HP. So u gonna let me know when you get those cams?? Thanks
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote