MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-20-2000, 02:08 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Post Exterior Paint

My '67 coupe is Wimbledon White. It looks great but there are a couple of small spots that have some surface rust. I would like to sand them and touch them up but I'm not sure where I can get spray paint to match. Any ideas? E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2000, 11:22 AM   #2
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

Elvis,
You won't believe this but I found wimbeldon white spray paint at an Autozone parts store.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2000, 04:05 PM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

Anything that comes out of a spray can is a holding action. OK if that is what you want. Be sure to clean back to bare metal. Then treat with a rust preventive. I prefer Rass-O-Nill, available by mail order (http:\\www.autobodystore.com) but you can also use RustMort, I found this at NAPA. Use short hair fiber glass filler then body filler. Then prime and top coat. I would remove the door panel and treat the rust on the inside also. This is only a patch. To do the job right you should weld in a patch or replace the door skin.
John Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2000, 09:35 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

If it really is surface rust, you might be able to repair it with minimal effort. As mentioned earlier, remove paint to bare metal and sand out all rust. Surface rust won't penetrate very far into the metal. Treat with a rust arrestor. Prime the area. Use skim coat type filler if necessary , sand lightly and prime again. Top coat a few coats and color sand anbd then buff. This can look only OK if done well. If rust permeates the metal, you must cut out the bad part, weld or braze in a patch panel and then do necessary body work before paint application, (Just as John Z said.)

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote