MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-09-2000, 04:53 PM   #1
fixer
Registered Member

Post FE MOTORS:352-428

my question is, do FE's have a noisy valve train? i built this mammoth 390 and since day one its had a noisy valve train but i've had no problems and its got 50,000 on it and it has not gotten any louder. have any of you noticed this in your mustangs with this motor? and if so is there an aftermarket rocker arm set-up? this motor is in a ford truck but i know some stangs had these in them in the early going.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2000, 10:23 PM   #2
mslcr
Registered Member

I notice the big FE's are noisy on the top end at the Drag strip. They claim that these motors like to be "loose"????? Whatever that means? I guess they are put together with greater tolerances??
I do know they run GREAT!
My "S" code '69 Mach 1 is pretty quiet. (390)
mslcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2000, 12:28 AM   #3
fixer
Registered Member

right thats what i figured. i built mine loose on the advice of my boss who raced and messed with FE'S for a long time and thats what i ended up doing.i set up the valve guides loose too so that they don't burn up at the stem. valves burning is a huge problem with these motors. i figured it was the hydraulic valve train making the noise. i've pounded on the thing for years with no ill effects. just wondering if anyone else had some input. i knew these motors neede to be set up loose but i didn't think that they'd make noise. just glad to hear i'm not the only one with a noisy FE.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote