MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-19-1999, 09:35 PM   #1
nmackay
Registered Member

Default Feul Economy

I drive my 69 Coupe about 70 miles a day and get about 20 miles per gallon. Are there any tricks that I can try to get better feul mileage?
nmackay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-1999, 10:19 PM   #2
macgyver
Registered Member

Higher Octane will give you better milage.
What type of tranny do you have? Putting in an AOD or T-5 manual will help you out on the high way (overdrive gear for cruising.)

Pretty much anything that will add HP will add mileage. Try a K&N air filter, electric as opposed to mechanical fan, hi-po exhuast...etc...

macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-1999, 11:28 AM   #3
todd_newton
Registered Member

I personally thought that if your motor did not need the extra octane you would recieve no benefit from it. So if your engine is not knocking then dont bother. I do agree with the aod or t5 and any other add ons. I would start with the K&N. another thing you might want to consider is changing the rear gear in the car. It will slow it down a little but also increase your milage .
todd_newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-1999, 02:38 PM   #4
macgyver
Registered Member

If I put Sunnoco Ultra 94 in my car with an octane booster (from Gunk or other)I get about 22-24 MPG on the highway. If I put in Sunnoco 93 (straight)I only get about 19 or 20. Also, you should remember that the 289 Mustangs were meant to run 94 or better. (See the owners manual). Going lower can lead to slight overheating and strain.

As for the other ideas on the adding MPG thing. YEAH, putting a new gear in your rear end would help out. Also, electronic ignition does too. In fact, it is a generally good thing to do anyhow. Much more dependable and adjustable. K+N air filters are what I go for also...
macgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-1999, 03:52 PM   #5
Dark Knight
Registered Member

might want to go as simple as putting a taller tire on the car too...if it's a 2-barrel carb, go to a 4v carb... if you can keep from standing on it, you'll get better milage too ;-)

------------------
84 convt,'95 302, performer
3.55's, underdrives shorties
and a '68 stang that WAS nasty ;-)

Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote