MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-25-2000, 04:58 AM   #1
Big-D
Registered Member

Question First Mustang (1965

I just bought my wife her first Mustang a 1965 Red Coupe. It is the car she had wanted since she was 16 years old and now 19 years later it is hers.

I do not know much about Mustangs and would appreciate some help upgrading some things I wish to this winter. So here are some questions and any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1. Advice on upgrading the suspension. The springs seem worn out. I would like to completely rebuild it. And would like advice on what all should be done and what brand parts to use?

2. Brakes: Would like to upgrade to front Disk Brakes?

3. Add Airconditioner Suggestions on what brand and were to buy?

4. Wheels she would like some nice wheels not sure what size wheels and tires will fit nicely under the fenders?

5. Adding Power Steering

6. Rear Seat Belts

------------------
Happy Motoring
Big-D

[This message has been edited by Big-D (edited 12-25-2000).]
Big-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 10:57 AM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

Let me start off by welcoming you to the board and the hobby. You are about to embark on a grand adventure, and we are here to help you.

For us to help you better we need to know if you have a V8 car or a 6 cylinder car. I will work from the assumption that it is a V8 car.

1. Although there are a LOT of choices on how to build a suspension for these cars, being new to the hobby, you are better off either rebuilding to stock specs, or buying a kit from a reputable vendor. Some pieces that you should look for when upgrading the suspension are....Monte Carlo bar, 1" front sway bar, front springs with no more than a 500# rating (stock replacements will be fine), stock rear springs, KYB gas shocks (she might prefer the GR2 version over the high pressure version--softer ride).

Although many changes can be made like lowering the upper control arms, you might want to stay away from them for now, they can always be done later if you feel the need for more handling. Another nice easy improvement is the addition of an Export brace. A rear sway bar would be optional also.

2. The simplest and easiest way to improve the brakes would be to give Stainless Steel Brakes a call. They will be able to help you out. They even have a 4 lug kit now in case you have a 6 cylinder car.

3. Vintage Air.

4. Someone else can help you more here. I have a highly modified suspension, so my tire clearance is different than yours will be. I wouldn't go any bigger than 15" wheels. Try something like 215/60R15.

5. Power steering can be added without too much difficulty. Your best bet is to find a wrecked car and get all the little pieces associated with PS--pump, brackets, slave cylinder, control valve, drag link(different part on ps and non-ps cars), etc. You should consider either buying new slave cylinder and control valve or rebuilding junk yard pieces. You really should consider a new/rebuilt steering box....these boxes have a lot of play in them after 35+ years and untold miles(with dried up grease).

6. Rear seat belts....hmmmm. The belts themselves will be easy to find, but I am not sure if your car will even have a place to bolt them down. You might have to have the rear pan drilled and the nut plates welded in.

I hope I didn't bore you to death, I have the flu, so I can't go out and work on my car.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 12:02 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

Talking

Welcome Big-D and I hope you feel better 66fastback!

Are you new to rebuilding classic cars Big-D? The first three projects on your list are ambitious projects, requiring tools and an extra set of hands. Get ahold of a Mustangs Plus catalog. They seem to have compiled just about every suspension, A/C, Brakes option for our classics!
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 05:07 AM   #4
Big-D
Registered Member

66fastback and Red, Thanks for the welcome and Reply!!!! The 65 is an original 289 2V Car.

I am not completly new to Building Classic cars. But mostly am familiar with Camaro's and Porsche's. Both of you were a big help!

I am mostly gathering information at the moment and building a game plan to get the car in pristine conditon for my wife over the next two winters.....

This winter...Brakes, Suspension, Wheels, Airconditioner, 3.55 gears in rear end and Stereo system.......

Next winter Motor upgrades and a quality Paint Job..(it is nice now but has average paint job on it)

***One question I was wondering is about lowering the front end? I have saw lots of adds for one inch shorter springs? I have noticed the car sits higher in front than the back?

------------------
Happy Motoring
Big-D
Old 12-26-2000, 01:20 PM   #5
66fastback
Registered Member

It is very common for these old Mustangs to squat in the rear, I believe the leaf springs just sag more over time. You may use the lowering springs, but lowering the control arm has a much more pronounced effect. It is the same mod that Shelby made to the cars back in 65....lowering the upper control arms 1". You can go further like I did, but it requires a special Neg wedge kit and tends to induce bumpsteer. Keep it simple.

Something else to look into before you paint the car is to inspect the cowl area for leaks. This area is very prone to rusting out over the years, and will dribble water on your foot. Mine has started, and I don't look forward to making the fix.

Thanks Red, I am REALLY, REALLY SICK, sicker than I have been in many years. What a way to spend a week off (I had started working on the car).

------------------

Old 12-26-2000, 05:08 PM   #6
Big-D
Registered Member

Thanks 66fastback! Hope you get to feeling better!

I think I will lower the Upper Control arm like you mentioned. Even if it is above my head I would rather get some help and get it done right the first time and be done with the suspension!

------------------
Happy Motoring
Big-D
Old 12-27-2000, 09:02 AM   #7
66fastback
Registered Member

Tanks Big-D, I'b be bedder inna coupla daze...

#@$* Big-D....your from Kansas.....must be REALLY COLD there, we are on the edge of an awful ice storm here in Dallas, so far so good.

Lowering the upper control arms is really a simple and cheap modification, as long as you go with the 1" Shelby mod. If you have a drill and the proper size bit, or can borrow one, the mod is free. It really helps reduce the rediculous amount of understeer that Ford designed into this suspension.

If you decide to go neg wedge, then contact Pro-Motorsports, Total Control, or Global West before proceeding, this route can make your car handle great, but it comes at a price....and can lead to bumpsteer problems. Think hard before going to this setup.

Best of luck, Doc.

(I'b starbing to feeb bedder....maybe I cab get thobe heabs on ab hook up the EFI this week?)

------------------

[This message has been edited by 66fastback (edited 12-27-2000).]
Old 12-27-2000, 05:01 PM   #8
Big-D
Registered Member

66Fastback.......Yes it is COLD..ICY and SNOWY It is killing my wife that she can not drive her new Mustang! I think the snow helped me to get the car a little cheaper. When I looked at I had to waid in 2 feet of snow to see it. And it had a foot of snow on the hood and top. Figured this was a good day to make a lower offer on the car and it worked!

------------------
Happy Motoring
Big-D