MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2002, 01:55 PM   #1
Young_Pony

Default Fox VS Vintage?

Hey,

My dad and i are planning on building a drag racing car and i was wondering if you could give me your guys opinion on the pros and cons of both Fox Mustangs and Vintage 65-69 stangs for drag racing, thanks for any info

steven
Old 08-20-2002, 02:22 PM   #2
Shelby428cj
Registered Member

I can't really give you an opinon on the fox bodies but I can tell you why I like classic, you have a lot more room under the hood to work with I like the big motors you can put in a classic. The parts are cheaper motor wise, here in Oklahoma anyway. just puttin in my 2 cents!
1969 Mustang (Project Rice Eater)
1999 Silver Mustang Saleen S281 (SQ car for stereo contests)
SQ Goddess
My Stereo Bro "tireburner163"
Shelby428cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:45 PM   #3
John Z
Registered Member

It depends on how serious you get, but if you start with a Fox, you're starting with more modern (better?) technology. Also the fox is a lot more aerodynamic than the classic. Do you really want to cut up a classic to make a serious drag car?
Old 08-20-2002, 06:15 PM   #4
induction
The Brit!

PLEASE tell me your not going to "cut up " that 67 GTA!!!!!!!
April Mare of the Month RiceHatersClub Member #27
induction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 06:54 PM   #5
Young_Pony

Inducton- No im not going to "cut up" my baby

JohnZ- Im looking at a classic since you can find ones that had bad interior for $2000 over here all day long (expecially in Bakersfield) And i figure that being a well taken care of drag car, would beat rusting out behind somones house

Shelby428CJ- I agree there is alot more room (as long as its not an FE ) A fox is more aerodynamic but how much dose that count when your making 13+ sec passes?

What im probally going to do is get this car to start with so my dad could help me work on it, and then when i think i could move up into a heads up class get a Dodge Dart or Duster, after all a hemi looks just like a big block ford without the heads Thanks for the info

steven

PS Dose anyone know how i could find out how many cars are made like mine EX. How many GTA's, How many GTA's with 390's, how many are painted Sunshine yellow, ect.
Old 08-20-2002, 07:14 PM   #6
The Deuce
Registered Member

Here's a little secret of mine.

This site is pretty well kept, and has some production information. There are others, but this is my first 'go to' for random info

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/

Rice Haters Club Member #13
The Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 12:35 AM   #7
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

Get a Fox, they are cheaper, and the aftermarket is huge.

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:12 AM   #8
thdrcat
Registered Member

This is kind of funny. I recently had to decide between an 87 GT 5.0 and a 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ.

I picked the 5.0 for these reasons:

1. I am in college; therefore I have very little cash. The 5.0 is much more affordable.
2. The aftermarket IS HUGE. You have NO IDEA until you look. Hell, summit actually has a 5.0 section in their catalog.
3. Believe it or not, but I have driven both cars. I love the feel of the mach on straight-aways, but when going round a corner, nothing compares to the 5.0's little body.
4. Have you ever looked for a 1969 428 SCJ? IF you manage to find one, its either all rusted out for $4000 or good condition for $12000. I don't know what kind of old stang you would be looking for, but if it is anything too picky, your gonna drive the price up expediently.

After much thought i came to the conclusion that I could make a 46 Willys an 11 second car if I wanted to. You just need to look at the body and decide which look it right for you. As for me, I choose to trade my present truck for a 5.0, that way when I work on my vehicle, it is not a complete waste of time, yet I am also keeping my eyes very much peeled for that 428 scj.
thdrcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 08:37 AM   #9
David Fulford
Registered Member

Drag car is a vague term. When I think of drag car, I think of a high compression, race gas only, no interior, lexan window, back-halved, power glide tranny, etc, etc. And if that's the case, aerodynamics and being modern doesn't make a difference anyway. In this instance I would buy a classic. There are plenty of reasonably priced ones out there and you can probably find one with a 9" rear end. If you are going to throw some bolt-ons and nitrous on a vehicle then you may want to go with a fox body because of the numerous options when it comes to bolt ons.
1969 fast back; yellow; weld wheels; 302 roller with GT-40 heads; 3:55 gears; 5spd T-5; MSD 6AL; E-303; flows; Hedman headers; Holley 600;Weiand Accelerator;1.6 rockers
David Fulford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 10:28 AM   #10
crewzin
Registered Member

Default Old or new drag

I have both of em sitting outside and I know that the 5.0 is faster and more fun to drive. But the Mach 1 is a brute forced car. It muscles its way around. The 5.0 is just easy going fast. I personally am getting tired of plain ol 5.0s at the track getting there asses kicked. But I love to see the old ones run down a new camaro and look like nothing fancy. As a matter of fact one of the guys thats in our suite at HRP has a 9 sec 65' thats just plain awesome. Dont get me wrong on the 5.0s. Its amazing how fast they go but too many people seem to own them now. I guess its because I was loving stangs when they were'nt cool and now everyones got a stock stang and someone told them it would run down anything on the road. Then they talk a bunch of trash and go out and get killed on the track. Its embarassing sometimes. But I still hold my head up high with my FORD RACING hat on.

I really just comes down to what you prefer. Or you could just toss a coin.
Either way, good luck!
crewzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2002, 03:07 PM   #11
Young_Pony

Thanks for your opinions,

What i was thinking is getting an 65-69 car with either worn out engine, or bad interior and just stripping the interior out to the minimum street safe, and putting about a 400 HP engine in it. I figure this would give me a good car for the track that i can also drive there while im racing high school (must have registration) and also it is good to be different then everyone else out there

Steven

PS What do you guys think of this combo to make 400 HP at the Flywheel?

351w:
Bored 0.030 over
10.7:1 Compression
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Edelbrock Performer 750 Carb
New Cam: Not sure what a good duration and lift would be, any ideas? my dad said a little lopy cam would work well?

Also i was planning on getting the engine from a junkyard and doing a rebuild on it, how good are Hypereutectic pistons? are the forged well work the extra $100 if i want reliability? Thanks for all the help guys

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: