MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fox VS Vintage? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=27901)

08-20-2002 01:55 PM

Fox VS Vintage?

Hey,

My dad and i are planning on building a drag racing car and i was wondering if you could give me your guys opinion on the pros and cons of both Fox Mustangs and Vintage 65-69 stangs for drag racing, thanks for any info

steven

Shelby428cj 08-20-2002 02:22 PM

I can't really give you an opinon on the fox bodies but I can tell you why I like classic, you have a lot more room under the hood to work with I like the big motors you can put in a classic. The parts are cheaper motor wise, here in Oklahoma anyway. just puttin in my 2 cents!

John Z 08-20-2002 04:45 PM

It depends on how serious you get, but if you start with a Fox, you're starting with more modern (better?) technology. Also the fox is a lot more aerodynamic than the classic. Do you really want to cut up a classic to make a serious drag car?

induction 08-20-2002 06:15 PM

PLEASE tell me your not going to "cut up " that 67 GTA!!!!!!!

08-20-2002 06:54 PM

Inducton- No im not going to "cut up" my baby

JohnZ- Im looking at a classic since you can find ones that had bad interior for $2000 over here all day long (expecially in Bakersfield) And i figure that being a well taken care of drag car, would beat rusting out behind somones house

Shelby428CJ- I agree there is alot more room (as long as its not an FE :) ) A fox is more aerodynamic but how much dose that count when your making 13+ sec passes?

What im probally going to do is get this car to start with so my dad could help me work on it, and then when i think i could move up into a heads up class get a Dodge Dart or Duster, after all a hemi looks just like a big block ford without the heads :) Thanks for the info

steven

PS Dose anyone know how i could find out how many cars are made like mine EX. How many GTA's, How many GTA's with 390's, how many are painted Sunshine yellow, ect.

The Deuce 08-20-2002 07:14 PM

Here's a little secret of mine.

This site is pretty well kept, and has some production information. There are others, but this is my first 'go to' for random info

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/

tireburner163 08-23-2002 12:35 AM

Get a Fox, they are cheaper, and the aftermarket is huge.

thdrcat 08-23-2002 08:12 AM

This is kind of funny. I recently had to decide between an 87 GT 5.0 and a 69 Mach 1 428 SCJ.

I picked the 5.0 for these reasons:

1. I am in college; therefore I have very little cash. The 5.0 is much more affordable.
2. The aftermarket IS HUGE. You have NO IDEA until you look. Hell, summit actually has a 5.0 section in their catalog.
3. Believe it or not, but I have driven both cars. I love the feel of the mach on straight-aways, but when going round a corner, nothing compares to the 5.0's little body.
4. Have you ever looked for a 1969 428 SCJ? IF you manage to find one, its either all rusted out for $4000 or good condition for $12000. I don't know what kind of old stang you would be looking for, but if it is anything too picky, your gonna drive the price up expediently.

After much thought i came to the conclusion that I could make a 46 Willys an 11 second car if I wanted to. You just need to look at the body and decide which look it right for you. As for me, I choose to trade my present truck for a 5.0, that way when I work on my vehicle, it is not a complete waste of time, yet I am also keeping my eyes very much peeled for that 428 scj.

David Fulford 08-23-2002 08:37 AM

Drag car is a vague term. When I think of drag car, I think of a high compression, race gas only, no interior, lexan window, back-halved, power glide tranny, etc, etc. And if that's the case, aerodynamics and being modern doesn't make a difference anyway. In this instance I would buy a classic. There are plenty of reasonably priced ones out there and you can probably find one with a 9" rear end. If you are going to throw some bolt-ons and nitrous on a vehicle then you may want to go with a fox body because of the numerous options when it comes to bolt ons.

crewzin 08-23-2002 10:28 AM

Old or new drag

I have both of em sitting outside and I know that the 5.0 is faster and more fun to drive. But the Mach 1 is a brute forced car. It muscles its way around. The 5.0 is just easy going fast. I personally am getting tired of plain ol 5.0s at the track getting there asses kicked. But I love to see the old ones run down a new camaro and look like nothing fancy. As a matter of fact one of the guys thats in our suite at HRP has a 9 sec 65' thats just plain awesome. Dont get me wrong on the 5.0s. Its amazing how fast they go but too many people seem to own them now. I guess its because I was loving stangs when they were'nt cool and now everyones got a stock stang and someone told them it would run down anything on the road. Then they talk a bunch of trash and go out and get killed on the track. Its embarassing sometimes. But I still hold my head up high with my FORD RACING hat on.:D

I really just comes down to what you prefer. Or you could just toss a coin.
Either way, good luck!

08-23-2002 03:07 PM

Thanks for your opinions,

What i was thinking is getting an 65-69 car with either worn out engine, or bad interior and just stripping the interior out to the minimum street safe, and putting about a 400 HP engine in it. I figure this would give me a good car for the track that i can also drive there while im racing high school (must have registration) and also it is good to be different then everyone else out there :)

Steven

PS What do you guys think of this combo to make 400 HP at the Flywheel?

351w:
Bored 0.030 over
10.7:1 Compression
Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake
Edelbrock Performer 750 Carb
New Cam: Not sure what a good duration and lift would be, any ideas? my dad said a little lopy cam would work well?

Also i was planning on getting the engine from a junkyard and doing a rebuild on it, how good are Hypereutectic pistons? are the forged well work the extra $100 if i want reliability? Thanks for all the help guys