MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-21-2004, 08:10 AM   #1
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Default front suspension upgrades

Ok, so while I'm waiting out the winter up here in the northeast, I've been thinking about better handeling. I'd like to here what everyone else is doing about putting all those ponies to the floor. Or through the corners!
I'l probably end up with the total control power rack and pinion. I like the fact that their pump has adjustable pressure. So you can set it for the FEEL you're looking for. But what about their upgraded front suspension? I like the coilovers. But, all they are doing is beefing up the old design. Ok so they change a few angles, and move the ball joint alittle. But, it's not like they turned it into a MustangII front suspension. I like the convience of a Bolt-In, but is it worth it? A Mustang II kit is about the same price, yeah I know all the work to the front end. Cutting welding, bla, bla, bla. Thats a real pain in the butt. But, then at least you've got a racing front end. Has anyone looked at the kit from Fat Man fabrications? WWW.Fatmanfab.com It's a bolt in kit that looks like it's using struts. But I can't find a review on it.
Well anyway thats what we think about when you've got to take the winter off! lol Not to worry it'll be warm again soon and I'll forget all about the cornering. and concentrate on just going fast!!
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 03:03 PM   #2
Jeff65
Registered Member

Bigger engines are the primary reason for putting MII front ends in classic Mustangs. Bigger means heavier and hence handling improvements are likely offset by worse overall balance. You're up north and close to Cobra Automotive. If I were you, I would go with Cobra Automotive's approach to classic Mustang suspension and handling. You'll be starting from a known and respected baseline instead of winging it. You'll have someone to talk to when you've got specific problems.

http://www.cobraautomotive.com/
Jeff65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 12:34 PM   #3
hobgoblin351
Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up on Cobra Auto. They are relatively close too. If they are gteeing those record setting results just by tweaking out the stock set ups they know what they are doing. I can't help but think that you can get even better times using newer technology though. I'll talk to them and see what they have to say.
Scrw in studs/comp cams rllr rkr
Mldn valves 2.19in 1.71ex
ported polished cc'd hrdnd ex
Keith Black FT pistons(10.25/1)
Weiand Excellorator manifold
Holley700 DP mech 2nds
MSD 6 box and Dis
Headers/2 1/2 inch duels
tr: modified FMX
re:9-inch/3.89 limited slip
hobgoblin351 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread