MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-23-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

Default Fuel blowing out of the airhorns?

Well, I just reinstalled the carb after a partial rebuild , I did the bowls, metering block, accelerator pumpand replaced the power valve with the one encloded in the renew kit.
I should have done the whole carb, but I'm not feeling that adventurous, especially without a book.
It really needed it, I had to break the metering block abd bowls off the body, the gaskets had welded themselves shut.
Anyway, I got the carb back on, and tried cranking the car, one of the secondary bowls had a small leak, tightened that back up, and tried cranking again.
The car cranked and ran, still idling high, but sounding much better. About 20 seconds later, the whole bowl flooded, up and over the sides of the carb.
I tried lowering the floats, and cranked it again after cleaning the fuel off the engine, this time I actually got to see the air horns start to do their "fountain" impression using fuel.

What did I do wrong? Any suggestions as to what to check?

When I was tearing it down, I noticed that the secondary float was cranked all the way down, so the float could barely move. Should I go ahead and crank it back down that far? I set the floats the way the instructions said, with the float level parralel to the bowl top when held inverted.

Help!

J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 04:51 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Fuel blowing out of the airhorns?

Quote:
Originally posted by KiltedBanshees93GT
I set the floats the way the instructions said, with the float level parralel to the bowl top when held inverted.
I'd say most likely you have a piece of crap stuck between the needle and the seat ... happens alot ... take that bowl back off and remove the needle and clean it out ... it only takes a tiny tiny piece of whatever to hold the needle away from the seat enough to flood out like that.
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 07:06 AM   #3
KiltedBanshees93GT
Registered Member

I would say thats got to be the problem, except it happened on both the primary and secondary.
I tried cranking the float level down on the secondary, and the back one stopped doing it. I'm going to try doing the same on the front, but why would it be overflowing with the proper float level set?
Also, the renew kit had new inlet needles but they were a different type than the ones I have. They are hollow all the way to the top, with no screw indention, but a flat spot on each side (i.e. for a wrench) Is this for a different setup than I have? (solid top with a screwdriver slot)

Thanks,
J
Rice Haters Club Member #239

"I find your lack of faith...disturbing."

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H. L. Mencken
KiltedBanshees93GT is offline   Reply With Quote