MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-13-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Fuel Pump

Recently I converted the 302 in my '67 from the little Autolite 2-barrel to an Edelbrock CFM 500. Love it! Anyway, I can frequently feel a bit of surging. I'm not sure if it is fuel or ignition. I have the Pertronix electronic ignition in it - have had it for several years - and just bought the Flamethrower II coil. I'll also replace the plug wires, probably the Pertronix 8 mm wires. Just trying to isolate the problem. It occured to me that perhaps I need to relace the fuel pump. Do I need something larger now that I have added some performance? If so, what would you suggest? Thanks, E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 AM   #2
Devine65GT
Registered Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump

i dont think you would need to replace the fuel pump. i put a electronic pump on mine because of a problem with vapor lock. are you still running the manual pump? i just put a cheap electronic pump in mine think it only cost me like 40 bucks at the local parts house. im running a 4500 holly dominator with a Mallory Promaster coil and a Mallory hyfire VII digital ignition in my 302. so i dont think that its the fuel pump. now maybe its the distributor have ya checked to see if maybe the points need replaced? or maybe you sould think about a high performace distributor. not sure if that my cause it to surge or not. but maybe something to check.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:33 AM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump

I would check the chart you received with the carb about tuning it. There is a chart in the manual.

If the carb is too lean at cruise, if that is where your surge is, it tells you how to richen it up. Very easy to understand and the modifications are easy too. Also, check the float level, just because it is a new carb out of the box, doesn't mean it is right.

I would also check for a vacume leak. That will cause a surge.....as in A/C, automatic trans modulator, vacume headlamp doors.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote