MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-18-2007, 07:42 PM   #1
Elvis
Registered Member

Default Fuel Pump?

I've been enjoying my new Edelbrock heads, cam, etc in my '67 but today I noticed that it was a bit slow to start (302 engine, Edelbrock intake & carb). Also, it really struggled to put away a Camaro that wanted to play. When I got home I noticed that the glass fuel filter was only about 1/3 full. I cleaned out the filter, got the engine started and watched the filter as it ran. Everything was OK for a while and then the fuel level in the filter dropped down to almost nothing - by the way, the gas tank is almost new. The fuel level would go up a bit and then drop down again. I don't think it has ever done that before. Does that sound like a fuel pump issue? I've got the basic Ford fuel pump in it. Maybe with the extra horses it is time to upgrade. I see that Edelbrock has a Performer series pump that is made for their carb for about $100. Would this be a good fix? Thanks, E.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Default Re: Fuel Pump?

Fuel pump wouldn't hurt.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:16 AM   #3
Rev
Registered Member

You also have a 5/16 inch fuel line from the sending unit forward (the sending unit is already 3/8 inch). Not a bad idea to run a 3/8" line from sending unit to the carb.

Those glass cylinder fuel filters are also pretty restrictive. Just take it off and look at the small hole that goes through it. I dumped mine when I ran the new fuel line. Also, a big canister type filter with replaceable element, back near the tank, is not a bad idea.

I prefer an electric pump, but I'd bet that the Edelbrock mechanical pump is plenty adequate. You could put a gauge (vacuum gauge has a low pressure gauge in it also) on the old pump to check for adequate pressure. I'd expect 5-7 psi for a good pump with the engine running.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Elvis
Registered Member

Thanks Rev. Excuse me for another dumb question. I believe that the line from the current fuel pump to the carb is 5/16". Did you mean to indicate that the line from the sending unit in the tank to the fuel pump is 3/8"? I'm not sure what is down there. The instructions with my new Edelbrock fuel pump indicate that the inlet and outlet of the pump are 3/8". Do I need to get 3/8" lines for both tank to pump and pump to carb? If so, where can I get them? I generally use TX Mustang Parts or Mustangs Plus but neither catalog is clear about the fuel line sizes. Thanks again for your help. E.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 PM   #5
Rev
Registered Member

What I did was run a flexible Airequip 3/8" line from the tank sending unit to my canister filter and then to the electric pump (both located at the rear near the tank). Then from the pump to the carb. With the Edelbrock mechanical pump, you would need a 3/8" line from tank sending unit to pump and then another 3/8" line from the pump to the carb. The original hard lines are all 5/16". The NHRA will allow that type of flexible line if it stays located somewhere between the frame rails and is therefore somewhat protected in case of a crash. It will withstand 250 psi and 350 degrees F. I'm not sure if a pre bent hard line in 3/8" is available or not. You could try Classic Tubes.

I got that Airequip blue flexible line locally from an area high performance parts shop. I know Summit and Jegs has it as well. Cost for me was about $3.75 a foot. I needed about 12 feet or so. Then there were the retainers, clamps and maybe some fittings bringing the total cost to about $90.

I would highly recommend one of those large canister filters with the replaceable element located near the tank. They're not cheap though ($50-75). Mine's a Mallory which is about $80 from Summit. It's about the only good Mallory part that I've ever bought except for maybe the coil.

Rev

O.B.C. #2

'66 coupe

Last edited by Rev; 03-20-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Elvis
Registered Member

Excellent! I found a 3/8" stainless steel fuel hose in the Edelbrock catalog that I can use from the pump to the carb. We have a small performance shop in town and they can probably get me the Airequip hose and fittings - perhaps also the Mallory filter. You have been a great help. Thanks. E.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
Elvis
Registered Member

FYI Rev, I explained my situation to the performance shop guy and he said that if I would bring in the old 5/16" tank-to-pump fuel line he would duplicate it in 3/8" with all the turns and bends. Hope to have it back on the road this weekend. E.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #8
rwhite65
Ride Hard

one thing to keep in mind is the hard lines are hard to take out in one piece and even harder to install a new one. Lots of parts have to come off they car for them. I personally am installing the flexible line here in a few weeks.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #9
Elvis
Registered Member

Well, I think you might have a good idea. I just spent the last two hours trying to wrestle the old line out from under the car and ended up cutting it to get it out. There is no way I could get a one-piece rigid line in there! I forgot that I added dual exhaust, headers, etc in the last 10 years. For RWhite - are you going to use rubber fuel line, steel braided or what? I need to get mine going by the weekend so any help would be appreciated. E.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:02 PM   #10
rwhite65
Ride Hard

Elvis-

I am not sure what it is made out of. The stuff that I am gonna use my buddy put on his street/strip car, has a braided outside to it.

I am sure Rev will tell ya what he used.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #11
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

I like the Carter elec fuel pumps. #4070 in particular. Its low pressure with high volume. 4psi or so. No regulator or return with it.

Ive found edelbrock carbs like to drown with about 7psi.

The holley red pump is good but it needs a regulator. A friend has one killing his edelbrock carb. It's giving 11psi without a regulator. Too much for a carb.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:48 PM   #12
Elvis
Registered Member

My Edelbrock fuel pump is listed at 6 psi and it seems to be doing fine. It is a good match for my Edelbrock carb. I am quite satisfied with the improvement. Now, much to the chagrin of my lady, the C-4transmission must be rebuilt and beefed up. Ah, boys and their toys! E.