MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-09-2004, 07:28 PM   #1
baddogbo
Registered Member

Angry Fun with directional wires HELP!!!

Sorry about my long story. Went to fix my brake light in my 70 cp. thought I could tap off the working side-nope. Found turn signal uses same wire. Next I took out the back seat traced the wires as far as I could and removed bulbs so I could see what was going on found directionals worked occasionally as well as brake lights. After much swearing and a few beers I stumbled that if the emergency flasher was pulled out directionals worked but no brake lights if flasher was in brake lights no flasher and sometimes a combination of both including a front directional as a brake light.Has anyone seen this problem ? emergency or directional switch bad? Is that difficult to replace?
Thanks in advance for any response I have had a lot of good help with other problems I have posted
Jon
baddogbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 11:37 AM   #2
Kisner
Registered Member

Odds are this isn't your problem, but I had a similar problem where my brake lights, turn signals, and instrument lights on my 68 would all work only occasionally. I tried everything known to man, including replacing all the fuses, and couldn't fix it. My last resort was to check the fuse box itself and I found it was covered with a pretty heavy layer of surface rust and some of the prongs that hold the fuses in were loose. I spent about an hour with a very small piece of sandpaper and cleaned it up real nice and used my needle nose plyers to slightly bend the prongs in tighter. Replaced all the fuses and it solved all my problems. This was, however, 2 months later after I started trying to fix it - dumb me tried the easy stuff last. Might be at least worth a look.
Kisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2004, 11:40 PM   #3
carboy
Registered Member

I had a similar problem with my 66 coupe and i replaced the turn signal switch assembly in the steering wheel behind the horn and it cleared my trouble,,,,i also cleaned my fuse box area. You have to figure a car that old needs to have any electronic connections cleaned at least every 20 years.
66 coupe, 306 balanced bluprinted, performer intake,725 Road Demon, Crane Cam, Tri-Y Headers, factory Shelby glass packs 2 1/4 with exit in front of rear wheels, 3:50 rear, 8 inch rear, mustang plus suspension, 41/2 mideye leafs, 620 springs on front, kyb gas shocks. tony branda shelby hood, r-model valance, rear side scoops(functional),stainless steel slotted front brake system,,13.39 1/4 mile with no slicks and no posi.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote