MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM   #1
Hitman73
Registered Member

Default Gauges?

Ok well since i bought the car the only gauges that work are the gas gauge, oil gauge all of the other gauges do not work. Someone put in a 3 gauge panel that is not stock and they dont work either all dissconnected. The speedometer does not work and the in dash tach is dissconnected also.

How do i hook up the speedometer cable? Thanks Jim

Last edited by Hitman73; 05-01-2005 at 02:45 PM..
Hitman73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
Hitman73
Registered Member

Default Re: Gauges?

I have fixed all the gauges it is the speedometer cable that i could really use the help with the cars speedometer cable had been dissconnected and taken out?. I have no idea how to hook one up any help would be much appreciated. Do i just have to buy a new cable and hook it up?. Thanks Jim
Old 05-08-2005, 09:50 AM   #3
Gearhead999
Registered Member

If there isn't a cable in the car, yes you'll have to purchase a new complete cable.
Question....if there isn't a cable in the car, what is plugged into the transmission to keep it from leaking??

Anyway, get a new cable route it from the speedo head to the transmission and you should be OK.

To find the routing of the cable either find a car similar or check the Ford shop manual.

Dave
1968 Cougar
2004 Thunderbird
2007 F150 Harley-Davidson, SuperCrew
1986 LTD
1997 Ranger
1992 Honda Civic
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #4
Paul 69 Mach I
Registered Member

First thing I'd do it jack it up & see what if anything is connected to the trans. Hopefully they just cut the cable off at the trans. If that is the case I'd remove the end of the cable (simple bolt on clip) & check the speedo gear. It's a $5.00 part so replace it with the cable. If there is a wad of gum up there you have a problem. I would think it easier & they just cut it off.
Now you need to count the teeth on the gear so you order the correct gear. Then (at least in 69) you need to determine if you have a long or short cable. That is the stud sticking out both ends. Since yours is gone you are going to have to buy both & return the one that does not fit. Mine had a short stud but some dim bulb put a long one in. Trust me, not a good recommendation.
As far as installing & routing that shouldn't be that big of a hassle. It is a simple bolt at the trans & clip on connection at the speedo. As far as routing it consult your shop manual (Haynes showed it better for mine) or just route it away from heat & moving parts.
Don't worry it's not hard just time consuming because you need to jack the car up & pull the dash. While you have the dash out it is a good time to replace the circuit board & dash bulbs.
Owning a classic is fun ain't it.......
Paul 69 Mach I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
Hitman73
Registered Member

Question....if there isn't a cable in the car, what is plugged into the transmission to keep it from leaking??

Honestly i dont know i cant get under the car very good right now and the headers, exhaust are pretty much in the way for me to see anything. I am going to look it over on the weekend at a buddy's house when i can jack it up and get my jacks back. The fluid level for the tranny has been fine since i have bought the car never had to put any in. Now the oil thats another situation there is a small drip every so often(oil)and is using oil i had to put in 1/2 quart oil 2 days ago?.

Got the car up and the wire was cut off and the gear looked bad i installed the new one and at 30-35 mph the speedometer reads 50-55?. The car on the highway is pushing into the high rpm's at 55-80 mph it is not a highway car at all it is a stoplight to stoplight car gearing is for 1/4 mile i have no idea what is in car?. Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by Hitman73; 05-25-2005 at 12:13 AM..