MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-18-2001, 02:03 PM   #1
Fostang
Registered Member

Post Going SEFI Any Recomdation???

I'm going to be installing a 93' 5.0 engine out of Saleen stang into my 67' fastback. Anyone here ever done that kind of conversion into a stang? What would be your recomendations for me? Anything I need to look out for? From which type of car should I use the harness from, I was told from a crown vic and then convert it into Mass Air? How about the EEC IV? Any kind of info will be greatly apreciated?

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Fostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 10:32 AM   #2
66fastback
Registered Member

boy, do I ever....make certain that the harness and EECIV match the tranny you use. for some reason I can't fathom, even the O2 sensor harness is keyed to auto or manual, and is said to fry the computer if the wrong one is used. What I'm trying to say in too many words is...try to gather as many parts from one vehicle as possible.

If you are going to use manual tranny, then be prepared to have to modify the clutch linkage. Ford removed the pivot point from the block for the old clutch linkage back in the early 70's. You will either need a bolt on bracket to replace it or go to a cable clutch alltogether.

Buy a book on Ford fuel injection. I'll get back with the name/author later. It will provide a great deal of insight into the working of the system.

You can do the fuel system two ways....spend a lot of money and buy a new fuel tank from Windsor-Fox (who make great products), or buy an inline pump and replace the drain plug on your old tank with a 90 degree hose barb fitting for the return line.

I'll post more later when I have the time.

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2001, 03:05 PM   #3
Fostang
Registered Member

My plans for now were to use a C-4 tranny. Then later on go with an AOD. When I had some extra cash for a super charger I planned to switch it for a T-5. As for the return line I planed to drill 5/16" hole about an 1" to the side of the exsiting fuel line and then soldering it as if I were doing coper piping. I planned to use an inline fuel pump from an 86' F250 or 88' Turbo Coupe. I just noticed that I spelled recomendation incorrectly whoops . Guess I was in a jiffy.

------------------
67'fastback-Edelbrock carb,intake,cam,valve springs.Rhode lifters, CompCam rocker arms, windage tray,cerama coated headers,dual flows with H-pipe, modded c-4,tci stall converter,perma cool electric fan,aluminum water pump,griffen aluminum radiator,accel 8.8 cable,wide cap distriburator,magnetic pick up,v-matic hurst shifter,edelbrock performer nitrous, carter electric fuel pump,ignitor coil,solid motor mounts,magna racing suspension,poly urathane bushings,under rider traction bars, comp. eng. s
Old 05-20-2001, 10:13 AM   #4
66fastback
Registered Member

sounds like you have a pretty good grasp on what is involved already....just thought I would throw in a couple of things I've noticed.

Mine is a 66, and I had to remove the egr spacer from the intake and replace the throttle body studs with new shorter ones...otherwise I was well into the shock tower area with the intake hose. This required fabricating a bracket to hold the throttle cable as the stock one bolted to the egr spacer.

We ran into the same problem with a 351W in a 67. If egr is important to you, you could probably avoid this problem by using either a SN95 style intake(or T-Bird) that has the bent neck upper, or using the adapter they make for the 87-93 style uppers.

Shock tower bracing is another issue, as the stock braces have to go. Again, Windsor-Fox steps up to the plate with a very sleek replacement, but I used an export brace and a spacer under it at the cowl and have good clearance.

I keep forgetting this, but I moved the battery to the trunk on mine(for weight distribution mostly) and it made it very convenient to route the mass air meter and filter into that spot.

Good luck. Doc.

------------------
66 GT Fastback,fuel injected 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's and duals, 3.40 gears and handling mods...just call me "Doc"
66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2001, 10:12 PM   #5
Fostang
Registered Member

Thanx, If you don't mind can I ask you a few questions as the installation progresses. It'll still be a while until it happens. I want to read up on it have all the parts and finish off the engine before I start. Thanx again.

------------------