MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-20-2000, 01:43 AM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post NEW Moderator!

Who is RED? Ive never seen him post even 1 time in my whole time here.

Why don't we get an active moderator?

Rev is very active, and has a good running classic stang, hes knowledgeable and very friendly with all the users. He gets my vote.

Skyler

------------------
1989 Saleen Mustang #406
-----------------------
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, 32deg timing w/ spout out, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.

Best ET 13.2@106mph (untuned)

Gtech 14.1@112mph
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 09:36 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Exclamation

Skyman:

FYI: 'Red' is Jon Phillips a longtime member and moderator of the Classic forum.
He has owned a beautifully restored '65 Mustang since 1986. Checking his bio on the site info page will tell you all you need to know about Dr. Jon, which you could have done with a few mouse clicks before posting.

The function of a moderator is not to post responses to each and every topic question.
Moderators are simply there to monitor postings for content and clarity and to move, edit or delete posts, when necessary.
Responding to questions is optional and every moderator is told that when he/she takes the (volunteer-unpaid) position.

I have answered thousands of questions but only because I wanted to build up my forum and be of help...and I had the time to do it.
Jon Phillips has a responsible position that does not allow him to be on the website answering questions all the time, but he takes care of business in a quiet and effective way. Dan and I appreciate that.

Just yesterday I received an e-mail requesting help with a complicated vibration problem on an early Mustang. I had no clue as to how to advise the guy, so I forwarded it to Jon. He quickly responded and told me that he gave the guy the e-mail address of someone who could help him. That's what a moderator does and why Jon is effective and valued by Dan, myself and the rest of the Mustang Works staff.

I would advise you to do some investigation about the man you criticize before posting these kinds of negative messages on the forums.

Dan McClain decides who is appointed moderator and who isn't...it's not a popularity contest. I would lose if it were as I don't answer every question, I get it wrong sometimes and on occasion I have to be blunt in order to do my job. This is one of those times.

You're entitled to your opinion but you are wrong in your perception toward Jon Phillips as a moderator. Your post does Jon a disservice. Jon Phillips serves - with our thanks - as Classic forum moderator until Jon or Dan decide otherwise.

------------------
Mr. 5.0
Messageboard Administrator
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 06:35 PM   #3
red
Registered Member

Red face

Ya get a job and look what happens!

Thanks for the kind words Jim.

Hey Sky,
I hate to give excuses for not being active lately but I feel some explanation is in order. In the past four months, I have defended my Ph.D. thesis, moved from Chicago to New Jersey, and started a new job in the pharmaceutical industry. Now that my cable modem is hooked up in my new apartment, I come home every day around 7PM and check the classics board. By this time there is usually at least one good response to each question so I have only chimed in sporadically lately.

My mustang has been corralled due to the license plate system here in NJ for classic cars. Lets just say, they are in the mail. As I said in the post by USMCOBRA, I have a pertronix ignition and fluidyne radiator waiting to be installed. Before I left Chicago I: added a leaf and rearched my leaf springs, rebuilt and installed a new C4 getting rid of the green dot shift pattern for the newer 1-2-D (also added trans cooler with new brazed fin (i.e. higher stall speed) torque converter), upgraded to a two reservoir master cylinder, put on new rear axle bearings and slapped in a Currie TSD with 3:55 gears. After all that work last year, I made it to U.S. 41 drag strip in Indiana and ran respectively in the high 14's on the hottest day of the year (it was like the track was covered in snot) after driving my car to and from the track (over 100 miles).

I think that is enough about red for now. I can tell you one other thing, you won't see me posting at 2AM.

-JON

P.S. I also appreciate REV's posts
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 07:38 PM   #4
Rev
Registered Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. I personally like things just as they are. I'm very happy to be able to paticipate.

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 07:57 PM   #5
KillaZ350
Registered Member

test

------------------
1991 Z28 Camaro L98 5.7

http://www.bright.net/~rwig/BandetZ28.jpg

http://www.bright.net/~rwig/BandetZ28-2.jpg

KillaZ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2000, 10:18 PM   #6
Gearhead999
Registered Member

Red,

Welcome, good to hear from you. I'm sure you'll do OK.

I too spend alot of time reading and not posting. Very good group here though. Hope to coverse back and forth in the future
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 12:52 AM   #7
Skyman

Mr 5.0- I think you took me completely wrong. I was in no way attacking Red at all. I had just simply never ever seen him post since I have been here. I thought he was dead and gone or something. . I wasn't slandering him in any way!

Red- Nice to see you back! Hope you didn't take it the wrong way, because thats not how I ment it at all. I just wanted to see this forum get more popular because I enjoy it, it just doesnt get many posts. Put that petronix in! I just installed it yesturday and it made a noticible difference! 15.1@95mph to a 14.8@98.9mph! No other changes. It really is installed in 15min or less to its way easy.

Hey 2am easturn. Thats only 11PST where I live.

Skyler

------------------
1989 Saleen Mustang #406
-----------------------
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, 32deg timing w/ spout out, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.

Gtech 14.1@112mph
Old 09-21-2000, 06:14 PM   #8
red
Registered Member

No problem Skyman.

I'll let you know how the pertronix install goes. I also picked up a cobra aluminum T oil pan. That should be fun to install.

-JON
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 06:16 PM   #9
Rev
Registered Member

Sky, I'm assuming those are G-Tech times before and after the Petronix. Are you using the old coil? I've come the conclusion that it's poor traction that's causing the prob. With that set up, even with a 3.08, I believe you ought to be low 14's-high 13's with a decent 60'. (2.00-2.10). What did you say track weight for the '68 was?

Rev
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2000, 10:26 PM   #10
Skyman

Those are Gtech times. I took 3mph off each because it always ran 3mph faster than the track on my Saleen.

On the Gtech it was 15.1@98 and 14.8@101.8.

It has bad traction. It either spins or bogs, either one of the other. Best 0-60 is 6.7seconds.

We have a coil from pepboys its new.. Not sure what kind.

Skyler

------------------
1989 Saleen Mustang #406
-----------------------

Gtech 14.1@112mph
Old 09-22-2000, 08:51 AM   #11
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Smile

Skyman:

Well, I'm glad that's all settled.

When a topic title begins by calling for a 'New Moderator' it's logical to believe that the current moderator is felt to be lacking, and that assumption needed to be corrected.
As you now know, Jon is alive and well in N.J.

I agree that this forum doesn't receive as much traffic as others, but then, our audience is mostly comprised of people with late-model (79-up) Mustangs and the lighter use of the Classic forum is simply a reflection of that fact. In addition, since the classic Mustangs have been around so long, there are many well-established clubs (and now - websites) that cater to early Mustang owners and that affects this forums traffic.
Just as the 'Small Ponies' forum is lightly used due to the small amount of non-V-8 Mustang owners that frequent this website.

I would advise any member who wants to know more about our moderators to check out the 'site info' page where our biographies are listed and in most cases, personal photos are included.

Let me mention once again that the the moderator of any forum is not there to play 'Ask Bernie' and cannot respond to all the various questions that appear on his/her forum. No one has that much free time or knowledge and only a fool would try.

The point of the various forums is generally to share members knowledge, not show how much a moderator knows. In many cases, you folks (collectively) know a lot more that any one moderator could. I know I've learned thibgs from our members, and I appreciate that. It's what we do here at Mustang Works. Improve the breed.

Now that we have the 'moderator issue' settled, let's get back to working on and enjoying our Mustangs, new and old.

------------------
Mr. 5.0
Messageboard Administrator
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote