MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
Rhauf
Registered Member

Default Good suspension for a '66

Im building a fairly high performance '66 mustang with a friend (his car). it's still in the very, very early stages (collecting parts) so i was wondering if anybody here has had any good or bad luck with they want to share? we're going to go rack and pinion for sure. he wants it to handle as good as possible and up to around $6,000 to spend on the suspension and steering.

it currently has a 6 cylinder and 4 wheel drum brakes. we're going to convert to 5 lug and disk as well, which brings up the rear end. Anybody know a good swap-in rear end? i was thinking possibly an 8.8 out of a disk brake explorer and have it narrowed.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #2
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default Re: Good suspension for a '66

I installed a mustang II front suspension, though I haven't driven it yet. It would be a good way to go since you have to swap out everything anyway. As far as the rear goes the same places that sell Mustang II front suspensions generally also sell 3 or 4 link rear end kits. If you can find a rear with discs out of the JY that will fit you should be able to accomplish all of it for under $6k. My front suspension came out to about $2500 i believe.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
jwboner
Registered Member

I am also looking around to see who makes the best suspension systems. I have pretty much pushed my car past the limits of the factory type suspension. I have been looking mostly at Heidt's front Mustang II and their 4 link rear.
65 fastback 347 DFI injected w/vic jr, TFS heads, MSD, cable clutch TKO, 3.70 9", tc subframe conns, custom traction bars, griffen alum radiator, armored fuel cell, and torq thrust D's Retrofitted Prelude seats. Vintage Air underdash kit. Fiberglass here and there too
More on the way all the time.
jwboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:41 AM   #4
bmxmon
Registered Member

I used Rod and Custom's MII, but basically they are the same. I bet you could work a deal if you bought both at the same time.

If you think you've pushed the stock suspension as far as it will go, check out this article: 1965 Ford Ranchero - Road Race Ranchero