View Single Post
Old 09-13-2002, 02:53 AM   #3
Frankenstang65
Registered Member

Thanks fot he reply Rev, I suspect the head gasket as well, but I would like to avoid replacing them if it is possible that the problem is in the intake (I have already replaced the intake gaskets once...and had some trouble getting the intake to seat right without leaking, so there is a pretty good possibility that the problem is there).

I was just wondering if any of you guys knew a way to test to be for certain. I was thinking that a compression test might tell me something, because if the leak is in the head gasket then the compression should be lower in that cly than the others around it. The intake valve would be closed, so if the leak was in the intake then the compression would be normal, and the water would be coming in when the valve opens. Does this sound like logical reasoning?

Anyways, if there is no way to tell for sure, I'll just tear it all the way down and replace both of them. If thats the case I may just let the car sit unitll I get enough money around to get a set of aluminum heads and some decent rockers for it...and probably throw a cam in at the same time. We'll see.

Thanks for the help, any other opinions would be great!
1965 Coupe: 351W, comp cam, Aluminum Systemax II heads (2.02/1.60), 1.7 Cobra full roller rockers, Edelbrock intake, Holley 650 double pumper, Mallory Unilite, MSD-6AL, MSD Blaster 2 coil, MSD heli-core plug wires, Hedman headers, 2 1/2" exhaust (GT style) w/ 40 series delta flows, 69 C4 w/ shift kit, shelby traction bars, 3.55:1 rear

Daily Driver:
1989 GT- 5spd, K&N (no silencer), Shorty Headers, King Cobra Clutch, Flowmaster Force II Cat-back
Frankenstang65 is offline   Reply With Quote