MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-27-2000, 12:34 AM   #1
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

Unhappy Head gasket...What else can I accomplish

My list just grew another mile. Today I blew my driver side head gasket. I have looked over the procedures for replacing it, and it appears I will have to remove my power steering pump as well as my A/C pump, Intake manifold and exhaust manifold....So to my question. While I have all this off and easily accessible what else can I accomplish. I will look into getting the heads done but what exactly should I have done to them? I may replace my powersteering pump all together its the only thing on the car that looks 35 years old and it leaks horrendously. My A/C pump is new so nothing much I can do there. How about the intake can I have it port matched with the block still in the car? Questions Questions.....Seems I have more than my fair share but look at it this way. When I am done with all this I will be answering everyone else's questions.
Black-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 12:42 AM   #2
stanger8172
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Black-Sunshine:
My list just grew another mile. Today I blew my driver side head gasket. I have looked over the procedures for replacing it, and it appears I will have to remove my power steering pump as well as my A/C pump, Intake manifold and exhaust manifold....So to my question. While I have all this off and easily accessible what else can I accomplish. I will look into getting the heads done but what exactly should I have done to them? I may replace my powersteering pump all together its the only thing on the car that looks 35 years old and it leaks horrendously. My A/C pump is new so nothing much I can do there. How about the intake can I have it port matched with the block still in the car? Questions Questions.....Seems I have more than my fair share but look at it this way. When I am done with all this I will be answering everyone else's questions.
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 12:54 AM   #3
stanger8172
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Black-Sunshine:
[B]My list just grew another mile. Today I blew my driver side head gasket. I have looked over the procedures for replacing it, and it appears I will have to remove my power steering pump as well as my A/C pump, Intake manifold and exhaust manifold....So to my question. While I have all this off and easily accessible what else can I accomplish. I will look into getting the heads done but what exactly should I have done to them?
My friend ported his upper and lower and it's running great. And I had my engine stripped down to the block and is ready for the track this summer. I have ported and pollished, milled .040 heads with double valve springs and competition cams pushrods and hardened guide plates. The heads also sport competition cams roller-rockers. They should be O-ring grooved which is about and extra $150 Definitely use brand new head bolts. And from my experience with beafy heads, you might as well get new lifters and definitely get hardened pushrods and hardened guide plates. A new bump stick is also cheap but you have to take off all the accessories in front of the block.
stanger8172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 09:15 AM   #4
66fastback
Registered Member

Hey Black-Sunshine, what kind of intake do you have? I would save my money and not port the intake if you still have stock heads....

Sounds like you have had quite a month dude. I'll agree with Stanger8172 on the cam, you'll almost have everything off, so why not swap out the stock cam for something more fun? Don't go crazy, buy something like a Comp Cams 260H and don't forget the lifters and new valve springs.

------------------
66 GT Fastback 5.0, 5-speed, cable clutch, JBA's, 3.40 gears, EFI coming soon?

66fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 09:42 AM   #5
Black-Sunshine
Registered Member

My intake is a Weland 8011 and the cam has already been upgraded although I don't know whats it is. Is it wise to get new lifters,pushrods,springs,and rocker arms without replacing the cam? also by milling the heads do I lose sum valve to piston clearence? What exactly are the benifits of a 3 angle valve job? and should I do anything special with the valve guides? How about the valves themselfs? I would prefer not to take the front of the motor apart if I am going to go that far I might as well pull the motor out of the car.
Black-Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote