MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-07-2004, 12:41 AM   #1
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

Default header problems

i have a 68 with a 93 efi swap and AOD tranny and i was wondering if anybody else had this setup as well or something similar - i want a pair of long tube headers but im scared to buy a pair because all of them come with footnotes saying C4 only and i know the AOD is a lil wide.. anybody know if i got a pair would they fit? i have a pair of K code HiPo headers and i think they suck imo i just want to open the exhaust a little
Fat0eknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #2
rbohm
Registered Member

Cool

contact hooker or hedman. they may have a set of long tube headers that would work. also if you already have a set of long tubes, try them and see where any clearance problems may be. if you cant find long tubes that work, get a set of late model shorties.
by a band who died in a plane crash.

fordsix.com admin
rbohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
CobraII76
Registered Member

Don't take my word for this and I'll ask a friend of mine this weekend when I see him. Has a similar combo with AOD and long tubes I believe they were dynomax headers. He had to tweek them to clear the bell housing and it runs pretty tight but they do fit. Like I said I'll double check this over the weekend. Hell if I can get longtubes in a MustangII with a 351 and the AOD you should be able to get long tubes in yours.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:40 PM   #4
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

haha thanks man i appreciate it
Old 01-11-2004, 03:47 AM   #5
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I have longtubes in mine, but they were on the car when I bought it and I have not been able to tell who made them. They fit, but in all honesty, I plan on swapping in shorty headers.

I got the longtubes to clear my aod by taking the car to the muffler shop (trailer) where we heated them up, bent them, heated them up, bent them some more.....worked, but there is hardly room to work on stuff under the car. Plus with my car being lowered, if I am not careful I rub the collecter flanges every once in a while.

Did some research a while ago (year and a half)...at that time I could not find any one that offered the longtube design. I have found a couple real nice shorty set ups if u r interested.

If u do go with longtubes, one thing that helped me was swapping in a new style ford mini starter.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:52 AM   #6
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

ok thanks what kinda shorties are you lookin at?
i do have a ministarter btw
Old 01-11-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I ended up emailing the guys at www.windsorfox.com and they told me the ones they use on there conversions are JBA shorty headers, 14 gauge with a solid 3/8 flange. I think u can get them with different coatings...and they claim they do not see power loss due to using the shorties (their opinion). I figure there will be some, but for the ease of working on the car and better clearance it would prob be a good idea (IMO). They r expensive though, around 500.00, I think.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2004, 11:59 PM   #8
CobraII76
Registered Member

Got that info they are dynomax headers and in his words he installed them without the trans heated them then took pipe to the collectors and bent them outward. Then installed the trans and bent them pretty tight to it. He said when these rust out or finally give up he is going with the shorty headers. The windsor fox headers are 500.00 after all said and done. supposed to be a pretty sweet header and they are not supposed to give up anything over longtubes. the fox body guys would be the ones to ask.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:17 AM   #9
Fat0eknee
I'm slow ...I know.

ok thanks a lot for your info, windsor-fox made my harness for me buy imo i wouldnt buy from them again ...they tried to screw me but thats another story - thanks for all of your responses i guess ill just find me a pair of shorties